whining from rear of car

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
i've had my supra for a month now and i ever since i had it i hear a mosquito type whining from the back of the car while driving around 44mp/h (70km/h). i think its the differential, because before i went to buy the car the previous owner said he had to take it to the shop to fill the diff. then on the way home i smelt oil burning and drove it straight to the shop to get certified and mechanic called me back to tell me that the burning smell was the diff leaking on the exhaust and said it had to get rebuilt but to save me money he just replaced the leaking oil seal.
is it possible that before i bought the na supra the seal drained the diff and wore out a bearing or gear to make it whine while driving?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Its certainly possible. Bad things happen to moving parts when they are robbed of their lubricant. You did say you have been driving it for a month. Have you been checked the diff to make sure its still full. Has the noise gotten worse? Is there any vibration relevant to the noise? Every diff I have destroyed gets loud fast, then kaboom!

Oh and FYI, Diff fluid smells terrible, and the smell doesnt go away easy. Should you decide to open the thing up in your yard make sure you contain all the fluid. Get it on your driveway, it will not only leave a stain, but smell terrible for months.

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
okay thanks, ive always ment to check the oil since the mechanic filled it up but i need a 23mm socket and all my socket sets seem to skip 23:: angry :: (...18 19 20 21 24..)

i find the noise sounding relativity the same and there is a little vibration but if any it is covered up by my loud magna flow exhaust

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
oh and i found a diff for sale where i live. but its off a turbo mkiii. is there a difference? because i noticed that at 3000rpm i am doing around 60mp/h (105 km/h) in 5th gear and i find the fuel economy sucks!

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
A quick search allowed me to find this info. I know your new here, but learn how to use the search feature before asking, or you will recieve a ration of shit for it.

AGlobalThreat;872207 said:
4.30 came in NA's. LSD was an option and also came with the sport package
3.91 came in pre89 turbos
3.73 came in 89+ turbos

The 4.10 was from the jza70 and is a torsen diff.. It doesn't seem to like hard launches.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49273&highlight=differential

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
lewis15498;1441113 said:
Tubos had a 3.91 until 89, at which point they got a 3.73 So you have a 5spd and im assuming its NA. What year is it?

i have a 1988 na. the diff i found for sale is $80 and the guy put the turbo diff on his 1989 na automatic. he hasnt responded yet but what do u mean by 3.73? is that 3.73:1 gear ratio?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
twan;1441119 said:
i have a 1988 na. the diff i found for sale is $80 and the guy put the turbo diff on his 1989 na automatic. he hasnt responded yet but what do u mean by 3.73? is that 3.73:1 gear ratio?

Yes the gear ratio. You'll cruise at lower rpms on the hwy but will lack a little power around town. NA is 4.30. The 3.73 is also an LSD (limited slip differential)

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
okay, but i do not have lsd on my diff. when i lift the back end up i spin one wheel forward and the opposite spins the same direction. on a lsd it should turn the opposite direction, but my car has the targa top so its the sports version correct? this could mean the previous owner already swapped differentials.... :nono:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
twan;1441122 said:
okay, but i do not have lsd on my diff. when i lift the back end up i spin one wheel forward and the opposite spins the same direction

That IS a limited slip differential.

twan;1441122 said:
. on a lsd it should turn the opposite direction, but my car has the targa top so its the sports version correct? this could mean the previous owner already swapped differentials.... :nono:

Wrong. That is an open diff.

If your NA has the sport package, then it's the 4.30 LSD, otherwise it may have been swapped in the past. Either way, you've got an LSD...which is cool! ;)

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada