while the auto tranny is out.......

stock 87 turbo

whats broke now?
Sep 3, 2005
marshall,wis
after rebuilding the motor this winter the engine is abouy ready to go back in. i have the auto transmission out and would like it to be able to handle the 400 hp i am hoping for + shift a little harder if you know what i mean. i just picked up a new filter and will be getting a new tranny cooler. anymore suggestions{ except put in a 5 speed}

NickSupra

Apr 6, 2005
tn
If you have the funds a rebuild couldnt hurt either. There are some supra specific shops that do the upgrade, but you could probaly find someone closer to do it. Theres a large thread on sf about upgrading the auto tranny also.

stock 87 turbo

whats broke now?
Sep 3, 2005
marshall,wis
ive got about 800 left in my budget. i currently have a good stock turbo but i have been thinking about rebuilding the 60-1 in the garage plus add ball bearings to it.that is about 500.is there anything i can do to the tranny to help it for 300?. i am already about 2500 over what i wanted to spend on the car,but i want to be a dependable daily driver .i dont plan on beating this car very often at all

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
stock 87 turbo said:
i dont plan on beating this car very often at all

LIES!

But seriously, since SF is down, could anyone hook us up with the info from sf, since it's down? Someone had to save that handy info. :1zhelp:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
the thread on sf was about shiming the two accumulators that control the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. in a nutshell the process is as follows, im doing this next weekend as a matter of fact.
purpose: to increase how quick the transmission shifts to avoid heating the fluid as much during aggressive driving, cooler fluid, longer lasting transmission, your enemy #1 is heat.
1. prefferably remove tranny
2. remove the bottom oil pan after draining as much as possible and save pan and bolts.
3. remove 3 bolts that hold the strainer in place, then remove strainer.
4. there are two tubes going from the valve body to the actual transmision that are about 2 inches long. remove these by SOFTLY prying them out with a screwdriver.
5. begin to unbolt the valve body bolts 1 at a time and make sure you label EXACTLY where each bolt goes, each bolt can only go IN ONE SPOT SO DONT MIX THEM. after those have been removed the valve body can be removed but before doing so the gear selctor arm must be unbolted, (make sure to remember exactly how it is positioned before removing, one end will be over a pronged wheel and must go back the way it came off otherwise you wont be shifting much) then the kickdown cable must be removed. pretty much like your throttle cable is.
6. once those have been taken off you can see in one corner there will be 3 different circled tubes about the width of quarters with little cilinders and springs in them. (also there will be a small ball and spring that may fall out if you tip the tranny so wach to make sure nothing falls out (i have no pics so bare with me) when you find the 3 cylinders by pressing down on them and popping them out, the ones you want will read B-2 and C-2 on the side, These are the ones taht will be shimmed.
7. what i found to be the average shim thickness on sm was APPROX 6mm thickness of a shim. this shim will sit inside of the accumulator, between the accumulator and the spring, NOT on the end of the spring away from accumulator. what is ideal is to find a shim that is 1/3 the travel of the spring.
8. another thing that is done or shown on sf is the tying down of the kickdown cable that will provide WOT oil pressure in the tranny at all times.
9. then you reassemble putting all the valvebody bolts back exactly where they came from and installing your nrew strainer.

this is just a roughwalkthrough of what you would do. im doing this next weekend with 7 quarts of royal purp atf, new strainer, and twin oil coolers runing up front. i will post pics of my work and flexplate change and hopefully put this in the faq for our own use.

what im still looking for is the exact dimensions of the shim, i know the height, just not the diameter of the inside of the accumulators so i can have them premade before i do this. if anyone knows, do chime in.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
The #1 enamy of an auto is the clutches slipping do to the lack of line pressure under hp levels it was not built for. There is just not enough pressure to provide enough clamping force on the clutch pack once you near the 350 hp range. If they slip it is no diff. then a manual with too weak a pressure plate...allowing the clutch disc to slip under power. IPT transmission can mod. your valve body to provide a higher clamp force.