Which would you pick? HKS drager or Tanabe Medalion Touring

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
You have a 550 rwhp turbo MK3

You want it to be quiet like it used to be when you had your HKS turbo 75mm dual tip system

You want it to flow well so that you can take advantage of the hp

You want good response and low end power since you'll be street driving it most of the time

Choice 1 - HKS drager 85 mm piping with a 120 mm single tip, can is stainless but piping isn't
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b634b277

Choice 2 - Tanabe Medalion Touring 80 mm piping with a 115 mm single tip, stainless all the way
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tana...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Pick one and explain. Thanks

PS If you've owned both of these before I really want to hear from you and mention that.

PPS If you have one of them then tell me what you like and dislike about it please.

I don't want to wait 8 weeks for a special order HKS Silent Hi Power to arrive from Japan so I'm picking one of these two.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
The HiPower isnt a true straight 3" exhaust and neither is the Tanabe they both reduce to a 2.75" inside the canister. I own the older Super Hyper Medallion and inside the muffler it reduces to a 2.75". Both will support the 500hp range however the drager is 3.5" it may not be stainless but comes with a coating on it so as long as you dont scrape it youll be fine. I would go with the Drager. If i had to do it all over again i wouldve liked to have bought a GReddy SP but those were discontinued a month before i had the money to buy one. If you want a sound clip of the Tanabe ill upload one.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I bought the Tanabe, and I'm glad I did. Best money I ever spent on the exhaust, and fitment was perfect! It has NO drone when you're traveling at highway speed, and is impressively quiet for the size of the exhaust. Just make sure you have a turbo back down pipe to take full advantage of the bigger exhaust.

BTW, Arron at Driftmotion has the Tanabe cheaper than your Ebay link. Shipping from Arron was fast, and you know that customer service from him will be top notch!

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-tanabetouringmedallionformk3supra.php

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
i have the hks dragger exhaust and i like it alot

the only thing i would like to change about it is i would like it to be fully stainless instead of just the muffler/canister section

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Emilian the HKS Silent Hi Power is the quietest but is not in stock and only on 8 week special order. It's can is stainless but the rest of it isn't. The Tanabe Medalion Touring is also Japanese and is all stainless and is very quiet due to its new technology but not as quiet as the Silent Hi Power. It is a good looking exhaust in my opinion since I like all stainless and the oval can rather than the big fat HKS can. The best stock looking exhaust system is the HKS Turbo 75 mm dual tip but that wasn't stainless. My last one looked pretty rough in certain spots. The new HKS stuff has black heat paint on it which looks much nicer but still isn't full stainless which I prefer. I also like the 80 mm for better airflow over the 75 and I've heard many good comments about the Tanabe Medalion Touring on different sites so I figure I'll go with it for now.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Hey diabionni thanks for the tip. I ended up doing one last search for the new Tanabe Medalion Touring T70033 and found 2 cheaper still so I got one for $616 shipped from Cali to MI. Yeah the new technology in the Tanabe Medalion Touring is supposed to be awesome...almost as good as the HKS Silent Hi Power but just not as big in diametres but all stainless and the can looks better and will give more ground clearance since it's oval as opposed to round and fat..

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
i really don't think the can is as big as everyone makes it out to be

p1642466_1.jpg

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Hey diabionni thanks for the tip. I ended up doing one last search for the new Tanabe Medalion Touring T70033 and found 2 cheaper still so I got one for $616 shipped from Cali to MI.

Where did you find one for $616 Shipped?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I have the HKS Super Dragger and it next to the Tanabe (friend's car) was a tad quieter at idle.

Both are great choices; but, I prefer the look and quietness of the HKS.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Koenigturbo;1642512 said:
Hey diabionni thanks for the tip. I ended up doing one last search for the new Tanabe Medalion Touring T70033 and found 2 cheaper still so I got one for $616 shipped from Cali to MI.

Where did you find one for $616 Shipped?

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/toyota-toyota-supra-exhaust-exhaust-systems.html

Name Code Qty Each Options
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tanabe Medalion Touring T70033 1 584.00
Cat Back Exhaust System
87-92 Toyota Supra
Subtotal 584.00
Coupon discount -10.00
(retailmenot)
Subtotal 574.00
Shipping 42.00
Tax 0.00
Total 616.00

The coupon discount was inserting the term "retailmenot" which you can find by searching for coupon codes for any shop...
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/sparktecmotorsports.com

$42 for shipping is fair and $10 off is better than nothing and it's the lowest cost I found after searching and looking at 20 sites which took like 5 minutes

Make sure you don't buy the T4012Z which is the Tanabe Hyper Medalion which is the older model and doesn't have the advanced sound deadening technology of the Tanabe Medalion Touring T70033. If it doesn't matter to you then you can pick one of those up for much less low $400's plus shipping and minus any discount if you can find one.
http://www.suprastore.com/tasumehyspex1.html

Last edited:

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
No wonder,... I missed the coupon, Thanks! very helpful!

I sure wish I could find a three inch dual tip Tanabe Medalion touring. I like the stockish look. How possible is it to make dual instead of the single tip?

Last edited:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
JCFsupraman;1642629 said:
Make sure you don't buy the T4012...]http://www.suprastore.com/tasumehyspex1.html

You wont notice much of a difference between the Hyper and the Touring only in the looks dept. I own the Hyper and it has the Advantex packing same as the Touring.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Koenigturbo;1642720 said:
No wonder,... I missed the coupon, Thanks! very helpful!

I sure wish I could find a three inch dual tip Tanabe Medalion touring. I like the stockish look. How possible is it to make dual instead of the single tip?

You and me both brother...I hate the single fart cannon look. The dual is so much nicer imo.