Which turbo has the most bang for the buck?

juggernaut

Jul 9, 2006
South Carolina
I am planning on rebuilding my 7MGTE this summer and going to upgrade my turbo as well . I dont really know my hp goals will be thus far.I guess it really depends on what I have to put into a new turbo. To be on the safe side I'm going to install forged pistons/conrods. I've been looking up info and reading various forums on numerous different turbos. But what i would like to know which mid-range turbo would give the most bang foe my buck.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Holset gives you that BANG FOR YOUR BUCK that you are looking for. You can get them for as cheap as $100 dollars. So with a forged block and instant power the HOLSET HY35 is more than capable of producing 450-500rwhp. Thats the turbo im gonna use for my build, im currently pulling the engine to send it to the shop. Whats your rwhp goal for daily and for track/racing?

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
wardog;1559888 said:
Holset gives you that BANG FOR YOUR BUCK that you are looking for. You can get them for as cheap as $100 dollars. So with a forged block and instant power the HOLSET HY35 is more than capable of producing 450-500rwhp. Thats the turbo im gonna use for my build, im currently pulling the engine to send it to the shop. Whats your rwhp goal for daily and for track/racing?

I second the holset HY35!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Only problem with the holset for the best bang for buck is you need t4 mani, custom exhaust, custom ic, Fuel, tuning.

Adding all that up it gets expensive.

My vote would either be a 57trim ct or a bigger bolt on turbo that way you can maximize your hp without maxing out your wallet.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
hvyman;1559894 said:
Only problem with the holset for the best bang for buck is you need t4 mani, custom exhaust, custom ic, Fuel, tuning.

Adding all that up it gets expensive.

My vote would either be a 57trim ct or a bigger bolt on turbo that way you can maximize your hp without maxing out your wallet.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Please explain why you would need a custom intercooler. I too, am interested in this, and really interested in the holset route.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
ForcedTorque;1559917 said:

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Please explain why you would need a custom intercooler. I too, am interested in this, and really interested in the holset route.

Meant the piping, not the ic it self. But if your going for that kinda of power you will also need another ic as the stock one will be inefficient after upgrading past a ct.

But what i meant was best bang for the buck would be a bolt on turbo and not one that needs a t4 mani.

Power goals would help this thread very much too.

juggernaut

Jul 9, 2006
South Carolina
I dont really have a set hp goal and its going to be mainly for racing/track..
wardog;1559888 said:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would say just go with a fully built ct setup and go from there. If you build for 700hp with a upgraded ct you will be set for any track/xcross and spend less money since you have all the parts to do a mild ct setup.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
A couple of my friends have that turbo and they say its good but for me i wouldnt go that route. Id get something that of quality and has been proven for years.

I have a 57trim ct at 8psi and its great but i really would like more power but i dont have the mods/money to get more.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
hvyman;1560021 said:
I would say just go with a fully built ct setup and go from there. If you build for 700hp with a upgraded ct you will be set for any track/xcross and spend less money since you have all the parts to do a mild ct setup.

Holy crap, I wasn't aware anywhere near these numbers were possible with a CT upgrade, would this even be reliable though?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
A ct wont get much past 400hp. It s a very reliable turbo tho as i have 45k on mine with zero shaft play at stock boost levels tho.

You always want to build for more than you want for the safety/ piece of mind insurance.