Which tranny should I get?

DaltonD

May 22, 2008
Fayetteville Arkansas
When I bought my MK3 supra for 700 bucks, there was a thrown rod, and the tranny doesn't work... =/
Which Transmission should I go for?
I was thinking the R154 just because its the stock tranny, and should be an easy bolt on.

Thanks for the advice!

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
if you are going to stay turbo - r154
if you are going na - w58

you can go a few other routes (th350, v160, the solstice teanny but can't remember the code) but they will require some additional work

DaltonD

May 22, 2008
Fayetteville Arkansas
Rennat;1053080 said:
maybe you should just fix the R154 you have now? seems logical to me...
Yeah, I am going to take a look at it soon once I get the time.
The previous owner says the tranny is shot, but I still want to take a look at it.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
Rennat;1053080 said:
maybe you should just fix the R154 you have now? seems logical to me...

this sounds like a good idea.Get it checked out and if you rebuild it than you'll have a brand new trans.if not you could get a R154 for a good price

btw a V160 is a great trans but it coast more than your supra did and it's going to take some messing with to make it work.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
If you already have the R154...Just spend the money to have it rebuilt.
Otherwise, just go find one in good condition.

R154's have the reputation of a pretty solid transmission.

If you look around, you'll see that there are some Supras making some *serious* power, all with a stock R154.

Depending on your power goals...realistically, an R154 will do you just fine.

If you're in pursuit of nearing quadruple digit numbers to the rear wheels, plan for a GM Auto or be ready to fork over thousands to have your R154 'built'.

Jeff

*Edit* No one has mentioned the A340E probably because he didn't mention wanting to go Auto.
But while we're on topic...A *Healthy* A340 that hasn't been beat to shit by a 16 year old F&F enthusiast, with a Trans cooler will work wonders...But doesn't have the power capabilities like an R154 does.
A340 typically starts showing signs of strong wear around 300-350rwhp.
When I was still 7M, I loved my A340E once I bought a B&M Trans cooler...made 320rw/362tq, Daily driven for acouple years without a peep from the transmission. :)