• Amsoil [10w30 or you can suggest a weight]

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
So I'm about to finish up my rebuild and was wondering what oil everyone thinks I should use.
My two choices are either German Castrol or Amsoil [I was thinking just 10w30].

I drive a 1990 N/A Fully stock [I'm getting a Cold Air Intake] and I enjoy driving hard but 98% of the time I won't exceed 75mph.

I have been reading around about GC and think it would be good but I can get Amsoil for close to free [my dad is a dealer, and swears his life to Amsoil being the best]

So please help me decide!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Both are way overkill for your need but if you can get the Amsoil free I'd use that. Since GC has all but disappeared it's going to be near impossible to find anyway. Your Dad is funny btw. I've never met an Amsoil dealer who hasn't drank Al's Kool-Aid.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I honestly think you should use some walmart Super Tech 30 weight oil first off with their oil filter too for the break in.

Give the supra a few quick jogs to ~4K RPM's in 4th gear, while downshifting when slowing down to keep the RPM's up. Do this AFTER the car is fully warmed up.

Change that oil and oil filter after doing this about 5-10 times. Use the same stuff as before, soft driving, while keeping the RPMs fluctuating and not in the same range all the time. Change the oil filter at 500 miles, then do the full switch to the oil and oil filter of your choice after 1500 miles.

Good luck finding anymore German Castrol, I bought out all 4 Autozones in my area, it's gone for good so far as I know...

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I use GC, but I agree with JJ, if you can get Amsoil for near free I'd use that. I used the 0W-30 Series 2000 Amsoil for a while, but it made my valve train more noisy...your experience could well be different. If not the Series 2000, ASL 5W-30 would be an excellent choice as well.

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
starscream5000 said:
I honestly think you should use some walmart Super Tech 30 weight oil first off with their oil filter too for the break in.

Give the supra a few quick jogs to ~4K RPM's in 4th gear, while downshifting when slowing down to keep the RPM's up. Do this AFTER the car is fully warmed up.

Change that oil and oil filter after doing this about 5-10 times. Use the same stuff as before, soft driving, while keeping the RPMs fluctuating and not in the same range all the time. Change the oil filter at 500 miles, then do the full switch to the oil and oil filter of your choice after 1500 miles.

Good luck finding anymore German Castrol, I bought out all 4 Autozones in my area, it's gone for good so far as I know...

Oops, I meant that I needed help choosing the oil to use AFTER the break in. I know how to break engines in and oil for that, but this is my first Supra and I wanted to run the best for my baby. :)

And I found an autozone [about 45min away from my house] that has 10 or 12 bottles of '05 GC and its on sale so I wasn't sure if I should buy them out then buy GC online afterwards.

Thanks for the tips!

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I used AMSOIL as does everyone in my family, and three other supra owners here. AMSOIL is truly a synthetic and has held up well for years now, german castrol is still just castrol.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ Might want to research your oils a bit better ;)

Amsoil is a PAO based synthetic...German Castrol is a PAO synthetic. Both are considered a Group IV oil...the difference is the add pack and the way Amsoil is marketed using a MLM scheme. IMO, German Castrol is as good (or better) an oil vs Amsoil and you did not have the go through a "dealer" to get it...it was even on sale from time to time.

If you want a top-of-the-line oil, go with Red Line...ester based, Group V oil. Even Pennzoil Platinum (highly hydrocracked Group III) is approaching the quality of PAO based oils. Sorry, but Amsoil does not have the syn oil market sewed up...far from it. In fact, the Amsoil XL line is also a Group III base stock oil...not a true "synthetic" according to API. The rest of the Amsoil oils are PAO based...the series 2000 line has a healthy shot of ester in it's formulation. Still does not hold a candle to Red Line.

freakmachine

Feb 20, 2006
la mirada, ca.
Hey j-dub, what about motorcycle oils, like motul, castrol, torco and all the other fine oils made for motorcycles. I use motul on both my R1, ZX10 they are 1000cc bikes that i hammer on 13,000rpm no problem. i spoke to a tech @ local motorcycle shop that told me that cycle oils are hands down the very best on the market, because they are formulated for extreme rpm pressure and heat, and they also have anti foaming and anti corrosion ajents. as you may know newer bike are now fuel injecter and liquid cooled and all aluminum engines, heck ROB MUZZY (TRD) to toyota by comparo, make a turbo system for the king kong monster bike ZX14, and he uses motul. do you think these fine lubricant would be good for our MK'S. Keep in mind that motul sells for around $7-10 A LITER.:gotrice:

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
Wow, thanks for all the input guys. I've learned a good bit just from this thread:)

I'm still not sure of what oil I'll use but I guess I'll run all three [GC, Red Line, AMSOIL] and see which one my car like more.

Thanks again!
Austin

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Freak - I'll have to research motorcycle oils a bit more to give you an accurate answer. Off the top of my head, cycle oils do have additional anti-foam and anti-corrosion additives above what you'll see in an automotive oil...this is not necessarily a good thing. Keep in mind these additives will reduce the amount of base oil by volume...that means less oil to lubricate the moving parts of the motor.

I'm not saying a cycle oil will not work or harm your motor, it might not be the optimum choice though. Then again it might work quite well...there are a couple of diesel oils out there (Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo) that perform excellent in a high performance gasoline motor. From what I've seen, Motul oil is very good...they also have a fairly extensive line of automotive lubricants as well ;)

Drag - You're welcome. Go with the least expensive option 1st...like I said, if you can get Amsoil cheap the give it a shot.