which oil to use?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Supra87T;1128589 said:
Jdub: I posted that for OP.... you can get Mobil 1 synthetic anywhere and it's decent oil. I guess running Pennzoil would be better if that is Group IV though :)

jdub will not be running any Mobil 1 in his vehiculars.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supra87T;1128589 said:
Jdub: I posted that for OP.... you can get Mobil 1 synthetic anywhere and it's decent oil. I guess running Pennzoil would be better if that is Group IV though :)

At least tell him an oil that's worthwhile. ;)
Pennzoil Platinum is a Grp III, but they don't hide it like Exxon does.

Jay - I do use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for power steering fluid ;)
Just flushed/changed the truck's today...added a Magnafine filter to the return as well.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
OOOPSS, I has done ben corecteds...........sorry for the poor grammar, but I've read soooo much of it today that it's starting to rub off on me.

(in other threads, not this one)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There is nothing wrong with using Mobil 1 oil...it's overrated for what it is though. A lot of marketing hype by Exxon that fails to live up to it.

I look at oil for it's value...will it meet what I need it to do for the $$$ spent. For example, Red Line is the best IMO, but I don't use it...at least the motor oil. It's way overkill even in a turbo engine. GC is just as good performance wise and less expensive. That's why you won't see me make it my top recommendation. Amsoil is in the same boat...their marketing is more obtrusive as well. For the same reasons, Mobil 1 is close to the bottom of my list too ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Also, I've heard rumors that Mobil 1 isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

Any reason you don't run a different ATF than Mobil 1 jdub?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Mobil 1 oil was (several years ago) a Grp IV PAO. Without telling anyone, they switched to a Grp III base stock...then denied it when confronted. They still will not admit it...they use terms like (from their FAQ):

Mobil 1 said:
Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

A couple of key phrases: "including polyalphaolefins (PAOs)" and "a unique combination of synthetic fluids". Translation: Primarily a hydrocracked Grp III (using "synthetic technology") with PAO adds...this was confirmed by Gas Chromatography, Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) and EI/CI Mass Spectrometer analysis.

Basically Exxon took an excellent oil and downgraded it, all in the quest to reduce costs and increase profits. Keep in mind this is a company that recorded the highest profit for ANY corporation in US history. Didn't sit well with me...I don't like marketing double speak and I don't like being lied to.

Fram pulled the same stunt many years ago. They started using cheap components and relied on their reputation to keep sales up...they also sponsor race teams, commercials, etc as marketing to sustain it. It works...your normal Joe and even mechanics buy into it...I hate to say it, but there's one born every minute. Exxon is doing the same thing with it's Mobil 1 line.

The only thing I use Mobil 1 ATF for is in my power steering system...it's still a synthetic from what I can see. It lasts a long time, especially with a cooler and filter. It is the only concession (~$25 every 2 years...includes all my cars) I make toward Exxon's profit margin...if I can get a better alternative at a better price, that concession will go away too.

In my A340E, I use Castrol Import ATF...it is a semi-synthetic. I tried a couple synthetic ATFs and got a bit of slip in my tranny. The Castrol ATF seems to work the best so far.