which oil to use?

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
Im not sure what oil to use, im sure there is a thread on this but i didnt find anything. I dont know much about oil except that i should use synthetic. What factors determine what weight and viscosity to use? I was thinking of using Royal Purple because ive heard good things about it and it has good reviews. All info will be appreciated.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
whowouldfigga;1128085 said:
Silence.......Anyone hear the pin drop? :icon_wink
jdub;1127843 said:
Couldn't find anything?
That's funny considering there's a whole section/forum on it:
Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration

And, if you post this same question in my section without doing some reading 1st, I'll just delete it ;)

does any more need to be said?

edit: 0w30 german castrol in everything i own ;p

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supra87T;1128438 said:
0w-30 mobile 1

Mediocre oil at best...not even a true synthetic oil.
(someone else that needs to do a little "light reading" in the Oil Section)

ZoomZoomZoom;1128385 said:
Geez, another grumpy old man

Yep! Getting more grumpy by the day too ;)

:: IJ. ::

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
92nsx;1128449 said:
I still like my Mobil 1. Shit, my Caddy says it is the only "recommended" oil to use.

Marketing between GM and Exxon...:evildeal:

Personally if I'm going fork over the $$$ for a "synthetic oil"...I'm going to get a Grp IV or V synthetic. Not a Grp III hydrocracked oil like Mobil 1. Especially when you can get a PAO oil at the same price or less. If you're determined to use a Grp III, at least use Pennzoil Platinum...way above the quality of Mobil 1.

Amsoil is also a Grp IV PAO...excellent oil, but expensive compared to the others (for little if any gain).

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
How many times can this question be asked?

I didn't read the thread, so I apologize if this was covered already, but I know I've seen it asked at least twenty times.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
jdub;1128478 said:
If you're determined to use a Grp III, at least use Pennzoil Platinum...way above the quality of Mobil 1.

Thats funny because my girlfriend's dad believes Mobile1 Synthetic is THE BEST oil on the market today since most of Nascar uses it. A commercial for Pennzoil Platinum came on and I said "Hey that's my old oil" (I had just switched to GrpIV Eneos 5w40) and he said he would NEVER put any kind of Pennzoil in any of his cars.

jdub do you think Redline 5w30 is better than Eneos 5w30? I read in a thread that you said the Eneos 5w30 is pretty close to the German Castrol, but is the GrpV Redline better than both?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I run the Redline 5w30 in both of my supras, so if it isn't any good, I don't want to know about it.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
jdub;1128478 said:

Personally if I'm going fork over the $$$ for a "synthetic oil"...I'm going to get a Grp IV or V synthetic. Not a Grp III hydrocracked oil like Mobil 1. Especially when you can get a PAO oil at the same price or less. If you're determined to use a Grp III, at least use Pennzoil Platinum...way above the quality of Mobil 1.

Amsoil is also a Grp IV PAO...excellent oil, but expensive compared to the others (for little if any gain).

I saw no mention of Lucas Racing synthetics in any of the tech write-ups.

I have been using Lucas Racing synthetic oil for some time with good results, and I wondered what you (jdub) or others thought of it?

Lucas makes quite a few extraordinary claims with regard to the properties and benefits of the Racing lubricants, so far (at least from my observation) they make a damn good synthetic oil.

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
jdub;1128478 said:

I actually run Castrol 0w-30 in my Surpa, but that seems to be a little hard to find. I did read the oil section btw...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It seems I remember him not liking them that much SB, but I could be wrong. It may have been the Lucas addidtives that you can buy that he didn't like, and it could be one too many hits of acid that I took and imagined the whole thing. I'm going to be interested in what John saids as well.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Global - Red Line is the best oil out there...a Grp V ester based oil. Same stuff used in jet engines. It has a stout additive pack, but what you might see if you do analysis is a slight increase in wear metals...especially copper. Ester has an affinity for copper. This will decrease over time as you change the oil. Your Dad is way wrong about both Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum ;)

SB - To be honest, I have not looked at Lucas synthetic oil...I suspect it's a PAO based oil, but I'll have to dig up some info on it. It does have a good rep with the racing crowd. Lucas oil additives, different story...snake oil of the 1st order.

Supra87 - it would be nice if you would have said that in your 1st post...can't read your mind here you know. You would have got a different response ;)
Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent choice if you having a hard time sourcing German Castrol...I assume you are using Castrol European Formula 0W-30 (says made in Germany on the back). Pennzoil was bought out by Shell...they have taken the hydrocrack process to a whole new level...there is little difference between the base stock in the Platinum product and a PAO. The additive package is superb in this oil as well.

Adam - you gonna get us all wholesale prices and free shipping for Amsoil oil?
How about some EaO filters too?
:sarcasm:

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Jdub: I posted that for OP.... you can get Mobil 1 synthetic anywhere and it's decent oil. I guess running Pennzoil would be better if that is Group IV though :)