Which oil for JZA70 Torsen diff?

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Which oil would you suggest putting on a stock JZA70 torsen rear end? I would prefer Redline oil as I can get it locally.

I've read that the Torsen rear end isnt as beefy as the 7M clutch type? Is it the actual Torsen LSD that breaks in the diff? Can I make the diff stronger by changing to an aftermarket clutch type LSD unit like Cusco, Kaaz or similar?

How can I check if the gearing in the diff is the shorter 4.10? My car is a genuine JDM JZA70 TTR with the recaros.

Last edited:

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
provided you're OK w/the fact that to JZA70 T-1 will puke its guts out at the first sign of torque or hard launch, 75w90 gear oil should be fine.

yup, the torsen diff unit is the thing that blows up. yup, you can put the ring gear on any aftermarket diff.

gear check is easy- count the rotations of the input vs. output.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Krister said:
How can I check if the gearing in the diff is the shorter 4.10? My car is a genuine JDM JZA70 TTR with the recaros.
All TTRs have a 4.10.

Any 75w-90 gear oil will work in the torsen. You have to keep in mind, there are no syncros, or clutch packs or anything in the torsen unlike a clutch type LSD, or a transmission. There's only gears, gears that are always meshed. This means it's not very sensitive to additives in the oil. You can put just about anything in it, and it will act pretty much the same, provided you have the right viscosity.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
drjonez said:
provided you're OK w/the fact that to JZA70 T-1 will puke its guts out at the first sign of torque or hard launch, 75w90 gear oil should be fine.

yup, the torsen diff unit is the thing that blows up. yup, you can put the ring gear on any aftermarket diff.

gear check is easy- count the rotations of the input vs. output.

Yes, I know it's weak. I use this car mainly for roadracing and not drag racing. This is also why I asked about the aftermarket LSD option if it would make the diff stronger.

Thanks for the answers guys.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I wouldn't worry about the integrity of it in road racing, IJ. on here had one in his car for quite some time... and he's really not one to take it easy on equipment.