Which motor 2JZ GTE or 2JZ GE?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ok, most of you know that the 7M has seen it's final days in my car... I've been researching alot and wanted to get some opinions on which to do..

I know that with the 2jz ge I can find motors relitively cheap and I can run my stock 7M computer and piggy backs.. and fuel system... I don't like the fact that the intake mani goes across the engine like the 7m... but Sethron makes a great manifold, but that's like $1000 for everything... I have an excellent wiring harness I bought new 3years ago from champion toyota...

Now with the 2JZ GTE.. Has the better block with the oil squirters, better intake manifold... but I will have to get a custom harness made for my car and get a stock ecu or get a standalone which I plan do later...

Now I know that I will have to get the JZ bell housing, flywheel, motor mount brackets and new fuel rail...

My goal is to mainly have this as a track car.. drag strip mostly... would just like to get to the low 10's
thinking 1000cc injectors, 67mm turbo, add inline walbro to exisiting pump or just get the bosch 044 ... looking for 650-700rhwp...

Should I be upgrading the pistons or rods for the level I'm looking for? And Can what AEM should I look at getting for the 7M or the 2J for the GE?

Thanks Guys
Ryan

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
My research has led me to believe that the 2JZ-GTE is less 'work' to get bigger power out of. It has lower compression and is generally decently reliable under 400-500hp worth of boost in stock form. This said, a 2JZ-GE is significantly cheaper than a GTE, requires some changes to the guts to push 400-500hp, being mostly a change in compression ratio, but is generally regarded by many enthusiasts to be just as stout as the GTE when built equivalently. However, all bets are off when shooting over 500rwhp:

From the level you appear to be comfortable building from, I would say to go with the GE block and save yourself a significant amount of money buying into the JZ swap. The GTE provides only a few modest advantages for a 650-700hp build. You'll have to port the head and change the cams anyway for that kind of power... so basically all you'll have is oil squirters over a GE block at that level. Both will want all forged internals, coated guts, a better FFIM... the list goes on.

If your goals were under 500hp, I wouldn't hesitate to go GTE block and not even open it, if you were going standalone that was professionally tuned. However, almost everything you'll need to do to a GE to make solid, reliable power at 650-700rwhp, you'll have to do to a GTE anyway. May as well pay less to get in.

And don't use a whineboro... get the bosch or aeromotive.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind you will need to modify the 7M wiring harness to go 2JZGE NA-T. Might be better to sell the wiring harness, but it's up to you. On the flip side, if you go 2JZ-GTE then you'll have the stock turbos to take care of.

In your case the lower compression in the GTE might really help, and there are people that can make the wiring harness plug and play (Doc. Tweak does it IIRC).

Lots of pros and cons to look at. I think the initial buy-in will be cheaper with the GE, but in the long run the GTE will be cheaper.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
If I wanted jus 500rhwp I would just stay with my 7m and just turn the boost up a little and I'm there... I've had my walbro for 4 years and it's not that bad... The internals are forged on the GE like the GTE just a higher compression... what I was thinking I might do is put the GTE headgasket on the GE block or just get a lil thicker HG... I think hotsennecy was running close to 700rwhp on a stock bottom end GE and I know that Josh Dok33 is over 500rwhp...

The GE head flows about the same as the GTE head does... I would get some 264 Cams for either... But the stock gte heads have flowed upto 750rwhp aswell... I'm looking more for the 650rwhp level (for Now) But I'm open to all suggestions...

Other thing I was thinking about is the CPS... I was thinking about using the oil pump from the GTE with the crank sensor and tap the head with the rear cam sensor as well so I can run coil on plug.. or is this even neccesary? I didn't know if I needed the wiring harness for the 2JGTE or the GE or I could use my 7m Harness???

How important are the oil squirters? I didn't have them on my 7M that I beat the crap out of for 4 years with 430+rhwp and never had a problem.... I know that 650rwhp is completely different...

There's not much you have to do to the harness for the GE though...

I already plan on running a 67mm single so the twins I could care less about.... If I could find a GTE long block with out them that would be fine with me...

Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Josh is running E85 and I THINK hot was running meth injection. Pump gas alone won't get you there on the high compression.

The ignition system is another big thing to work out, as the GTE isn't wasted spark. You're getting better engine management going with the GTE, but if you go full standalone they will both be the same for the most part...

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
17-18psi on pump is fine with me... Then I'll tune for 25-30 with race gas... I get a really good deal on it... I may just do E85 aswell since it's close to my house and this car isn't my daily anymore..

If I use a GE I can use all my stuff and buy an AEM and be using wasted spark... If I go GTE I can use coil on plug... Just trying to weigh my options...

I guess my main question is do I need to tap the block for oil squirters or put different rods/pistons for a GE? And what would be the good benefit to do the coil on plug vs wasted spark?

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Ive seen the NA-T 2j's make over 400whp easily using the ge based system. Now for oil squiters we all know that it is a nice benefit to have them to cool the pistons but have also heard the need to not use them. Personally I wouldnt be so worried about oil squiters in the 2j considering your previous 7m build but the electrical yes. If you plan on running a standalone them wiring the ge using 7m electronics would be more then plenty to get you going until you are ready to really crank the boost.

I know I have hoping to change paths and have a 2jz in my car actually very soon :D

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I think for now I'm just going the ge route with a thicker head gasket and my 7m electronics... then get a aem later... going to get a ffim, gte valve covers and is300 coils 6265 billet and that's about it for now.. so on my fuel system that should get me about 500rwhp...

Whatcha guys think?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Wanna atleast have some street fun... probably will get a meth kit later... they are cheap enough and besides I've blown enough metal head gaskets on my 7m.. not going to start that trend again!

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Like everybody has said so far, it can go both ways. I liked my GE-T project because I could buy one part at a time and save for the next one not one part was really expensive. It seems like on a GTE project you will most likely buy the whole engine/harness/ecu together for one big price and then of course the little parts separate. And for some reason with the GE-T the build felt more like an accomplishment once I got it running. As far as internals go, I think both can hold easily 600+ with the right tune and mods. Also, if you blow up a $400 GE block you won't feel so bad. :)

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
i got a whole GE long block for 300 bux. Some guy wanted 900 just for a GTE block months after i had purchased the GE block. I wish i could have gotten the GTE block, but i dont thin i'll have any issues with the GE block.

Can you use 1jz pistons on a 2j block? Just curious as i still have my 1j block.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
You cant use 1j pistons...

Think I made up my mind and just do the 2j ge and have some fun with it! The motor will hold what I want it too... I just need to find a clutch that will hold the power

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
IJ.;1542399 said:
Stock HG/Compression + Water/Meth injection ;)
I personally dont like meth injection, but I would go Stock TT headgasket for like 9.2-9.0 compression with a 6765 run like 15 psi on stock ecu, or 18 once you get a standalone.

frontierguy25;1542463 said:
You cant use 1j pistons...

Think I made up my mind and just do the 2j ge and have some fun with it! The motor will hold what I want it too... I just need to find a clutch that will hold the power

If you're going to race, Carbonetic triple and dont look back.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
tissimo;1542629 said:
I personally dont like meth injection, but I would go Stock TT headgasket for like 9.2-9.0 compression with a 6765 run like 15 psi on stock ecu, or 18 once you get a standalone.

If you're going to race, Carbonetic triple and dont look back.

I use it as a detonation suppressant only and have quite a few safeguards built into the system in case of failure, think of it as cheap race gas.

The new build is my first low boost/high static compression adventure I'm hoping to retain the snappy NA off boost performance and if I were doing a 2J that's how I'd approach it and try to build something that's fun to drive the majority of the time and not only when it's on boost.