Which external wastegate to use?

fastazzsupra

Mar 23, 2006
South Carolina
I am currently running a MP61 with a .68 exhaust on a xs power t4 manifold with a 50mm hks knock off. The wastegate is supposed to have a 10psi spring but I can only hit 7psi. I've been told the knock off hks usually leaks so I need to know what wastegate to replace it with. Is it possible to bolt on a tial f41 wastegate to my 50mm hks flange?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
How do you know what spring it has? Im running same wastegate and spring boost was 7-8 psi. If you think its leaking, when the cars cold put your hand up to the dump and see if you feel anything coming out. IIRC spring boost on the knock offs is supposed to be 8psi.

If you want more boost a simple manual boost controller makes a huge difference. Im running a "Joe P" manual boost controller set to 18psi on a MP T-70. Fun doesnt completely describe the experience.

fastazzsupra

Mar 23, 2006
South Carolina
XS power told me the spring was for 10 to 11psi when I bought it new. When I first installed it it would boost strong and it would run like 9psi at full boost. Over the last week it will take a little longer to spool and peaks at 6psi. A few of my friends told me they had problems with the hks knock. I just want my boost and response back with a few more psi. So I just need to put my hand over the wg outlet when I start it cold?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well if it is leaking you should be able to feel exhaust escaping out of the wastegate. I said when cold because then you could cap the pipe with your hand without bieng burned, if your careful you could try feeling for airflow after a drive aswell but i assume no liability if you injure/burn/maim yourself in any way. I would see if you could feel anything leaking and try to find out why the boost pressure/response was lost before changing anything else.

Did you change or touch anything on the car just prior to noticing the reduced boost level?

fastazzsupra

Mar 23, 2006
South Carolina
I haven't changed anything to the car. I installed the turbo, manifold, and wastegate at the same time. I will check the wastegate when I get home tonight. I have let it sit a day and I'm sorry for the delayed response. What do you think about a turbonetics 38mm deltagate for my setup? I still have it off of the previous owner's t4 setup. Would that work for 350hp and using a custom adapter? Thanks so far for the great advise.

fastazzsupra

Mar 23, 2006
South Carolina
I finally got the chance to check the wastegate for leaks. It is definately leaking. It is only leaking a little at idle but it increases to a large leak during revs. I think I'm just going to try out the turbonetics 38mm for a while and eventually upgrade to a tial later. Thanks everyone for the help.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i had a hks knock off with real hks valve and diaphragm. i also had a 38mm tial. i got a Synapse 50mm and it is fantastic. very steady boost control with aem and aem solenoid. the 50mm has a 50mm and 46mm? waste gate seat according to hp produced. i use the smaller one. they also have a smaller wg with a tial type flange. the 50mm has a little Vband and replacement bands are $75.
the synapse does not have a diaphragm. it has two chambers of different sizes with orings. it is steady on. it does have a large and small spring. i use the large spring with smaller seat. the aem controls it great as would any boost controller. i can set it to a wide selection of boost because it does not work off of spring pressure for the most part. the boost pressure keeps it shut. they are pricey but very good. i also have the synapes bov and it is excellent also.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
fastazzsupra;1603293 said:
I finally got the chance to check the wastegate for leaks. It is definately leaking. It is only leaking a little at idle but it increases to a large leak during revs. I think I'm just going to try out the turbonetics 38mm for a while and eventually upgrade to a tial later. Thanks everyone for the help.

Did you install the seat on the flange when you installed the wastegate? It looks like a flange with a ring that protrudes into the wastegave valve.

fastazzsupra

Mar 23, 2006
South Carolina
Yes I installed the valve seat between the manifold flange and the wastegate with the protrusion facing toward the wastegate. I think I just got a dud wastegate that finally gave up. Is there anything else I could be overlooking or do I have a bad wastegate? Thanks for everything so far.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
You could take it off and visually inspect the valve for any problems. Maybe a piece of weld or something came threw the manifold and is holding the valve open, Though i hope not as it may have gone threw the turbine housing.

I would definitely remove and inspect to see if anything is visually wrong. Its free and only take a little bit of time. If you are going to replace it you will have to remove it anyway. Post some pictures while your at it.

fastazzsupra

Mar 23, 2006
South Carolina
The leak must be getting worse. When I was on the way home tonight I swear I can actually hear the wastegate leaking and boost will eventually hit 5 or 6 psi but only if you floor it. I won't be able to take it off until probably monday but I'll try to get some pics posted when I get it off. Thanks for helping man.