Which battery?

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
Hi guys,
Just got my motor in and Im in need of a good battery.Noticed no one has really talked about this topic here. Right now I would like a dry cell battery. In lines of a Odyssey or optima. I dont want a big battery like the original one. I would like it to save some size and weight on this sucker.

Im leaning towards Odyssey right now but cant decide on which one. I believe Gilfdorf is using the pc680. They are like the size of civic and integra batteries. But I want to make sure the smaller batteries will have enough power for our cars.

Also thinking about putting battery in the trunk. To who ever has done this, what did you use to connect the cable in the engine bay. Like somekind of junction box. to connect wire that goes all the way to the trunk.

Thanks for your input

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
There was a thread on another forum about optima batteries. They claim that optima has moved battery production to mexico and that quality has gone way down hill. Also mentioned on that forum was some high end batteries from sears are made by odyssey and just rebranded and cost less.

May 19, 2006
SE Wisconsin
for relocating batt. which cable in engine bay? i soldered one from alt to one from fuse box(iirc) and ran a 1g cable from batt to starter. im grounding to latch for hatch but will be running another ground to bellhousing soon. also have a 200 amp fuse in near battery.

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
iwannadie;1575931 said:
There was a thread on another forum about optima batteries. They claim that optima has moved battery production to mexico and that quality has gone way down hill. Also mentioned on that forum was some high end batteries from sears are made by odyssey and just rebranded and cost less.

I think you are speaking about braille batteries and Deka. Deka supposedly makes braille batteries. I am looking into that too. I found this link that compares braille to odssey though.

http://shop.edoperformance.com/braille-noweight-daily-use-battery-p-9136.html

Here is the deka battery. Which is a really good deal.
Deka battery

Last edited:

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
nerfkhat;1575939 said:
I think you are speaking about braille batteries and Deka. Deka supposedly makes braille batteries. I am looking into that too. I found this link that compares braille to odssey though.

http://shop.edoperformance.com/braille-noweight-daily-use-battery-p-9136.html

Here is the deka battery. Which is a really good deal.
Deka battery

I've never herd of braille or deka.

Edit: Heres a link, not the original thread I saw but one with all the same basic info.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
well lets clear something up right now.

Optima is NOT and has NEVER been a dry cell! it is a gel cell.

with that said, what is your budget? Because I can say get a Braille CF LIPO battery and call it a day. That is a $1k battery.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
So what is a decent battery for around that price range ($100)? I will soon be looking for a battery and was thinking of Optima, but I've also read Energizer are ok.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I like my Optima, I've drained it several times, stored it, ect....it's recharged and worked everytime.

Plus the simple fact that it doesn't leak like a normal battery...

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
nerfkhat;1576217 said:
Oh yea thanks for your comment that helps much...

Found this..AND ITS 110 SHIPPED

Odyssey pc680

Poodles has a good point on this. I've played with a few as their a popular for battery for relocation on Mitsubishi EVO's. On that little 4cyl motor you get about 3 good 15 sec turnovers on them. Don't expect to play the radio or power any other electronic with out the engine running and then expect to get a start out of it. And if it's cold out the battery is worthless. And you will struggle to get a full year of life out of them after using a big starter like the Supra's on them. The heavy load during starting just tears up the cels.

Can they be used as a starter battery? Yes. Are they worth the hassle? Not in my mind. If I only had $100 to play with I would rather spend it on a good, strong lead acid battery.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Typical lead acid battery, I've tried tons of em, they all suck ass when they die (spilling acid all over the place usually)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Depending on conditions I'd say go with an Optima. Had the old Walmart battery that I bought the car with for a while, and it didn't like cold winters (Wyoming, typical to be -20*f on occasion). Replaced it with an Optima redtop, and found out that the grease in the starter can actually FREEZE. Cranked on that thing for probably a minute or so before it finally started turning over the starter. Good batteries, albeit a bit pricey.