where'd you learn how to work on cars?

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
Necessity is the mother of all invention...in high school, I purchased my first car and couldn't afford to take it to a shop for maintenance. If it needed work, I had to figure it out (81 civic...wish I had that car again as a project some days...always loved it). There was no internet in those days to ask for help. Fix it or push it was the order of the day.

dav_dman

old guy
Oct 23, 2005
louisville KY/so.IN metro area
first job was oil changer. Got the service manual for every car i ever owned and worked on all of 'em cuz i was too broke not to. Lotta junkyard time removing my own parts (they used to let you do it). Now i have money, but i've learned the only way you know it's done right is if you do it yourself. Or have my buddy mike the mechanic do it. He's more anal than i am about doing it right or not at all.

trade school course ..even one semester ..is highly recommended.. you have to learn about tools..

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I don't know a lot, but I know more than the average dumbass. I do the basic maintenance on my '88, like brakes and oil and such, but this site is really the place to find info. If I had been a member before my HG blew, I would have fixed it myself and saved a grand or more.

The only downside is I don't even have a garage anymore, now that we turned it into my mother's office. Nothing sucks as much as squeezing under a car when it's so cold you can't feel your fingers...

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
I learned most of what I know about cars and how to work on them from my pops. The rest I learned from either just tinkering and hoping I didn't royally screw up or from reading repair manuals and forums on t3h inT3rnetz

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
I learned from having supras how to work on cars. The knowledge from them then helped me work on other toyotas, and alot of the general concepts allow me to do some work on almost any car.

I will probably always be the most comfortable with supras because of this, it's nice to drive a car and feel you know every nut and bolt in it.

tonysupra

Supramania Contributor
Dec 3, 2005
CT
TSRM and supramania. I'm still a newb but i'm learning. Roxanne is my first and only car. No classes, shop, or a good father here.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
boostinsupragirl said:
i went to school for it.plus when your car breaks all the time you become pretty good at fixing stuff:biglaugh:
If that were the case, the majority of MK3 owners would be master mechanics

puahaha

xXxICExXx

Aug 6, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
I learned cars from my trans am, nothing breaks down or is a bigger POS than an old trans am. Also took auto in highschool which gave me a good learning experience. Im taking a 4 year auto course at the university starting next year so i'll be set. As for this car, i knew nothing about it till i started hanging around other supra guys. Just sit back in the general, tech, and build-up section and READ alllll the problems and solutions that go on with these cars, and learn all the parts because there is PLENTY of them in this car, most of them useless. Before long you will start seeing patterns of people's problems on here, its a vicious cycle. :icon_razz