Where to get R12 refrigerant oil??

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
Hey guys, I'm trying to put A/C in my car, but my compressor doesn't have any oil in it at all. Anyone know where I can get some oil to pour in my compressor? I'm keeping the R12 setup.

Also, how much do I pour in there? 8 oz? Any info would be great, thanks.

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
thanks guys, I'm not asking where I can get R12 refrigerant, but where I can get the oil designed for use in an R12 system.

I went to autozone and they had the PAG oil in the viscosity I needed, but it was designated for an R134A system.

I need the oil that you pour straight into the compressor itself.

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
Go to O'Reilly Auto Parts ... they carry Interdynamics oil for R12 systems. I put a new A/C compressor on my dd Celica this spring and used this stuff, the system is working perfect. They only carried the oil in a quart bottle but it was less than ten dollars.

How much oil you add to the system depends on what components you've replaced on the system. Example, if you replaced just the drier, the TSRM states to add 20cc(.7 fl. oz.).

itr.00-1282 said:
thanks guys, I'm not asking where I can get R12 refrigerant, but where I can get the oil designed for use in an R12 system.

I went to autozone and they had the PAG oil in the viscosity I needed, but it was designated for an R134A system.

I need the oil that you pour straight into the compressor itself.

Last edited:

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Last year after I got my car running I thought my air was screwed. So I did not want to invest much money into it, and a friend of my told me this would work. What I did was I bought two of those r134 bottles and bought a r134 hose line. I cut the hose removing the r134 fitting and I found a hose off of a set of freeon guadges for 12 and just put the 12 head on the r134 hose using a copper tubing in between the two hoses. I then put r134 into my car and in amazement it worked. It has been working now for the last two summers and all seems fine. Those cans came with the oil ect!!! I know that this is not the right way to do it but since it works and I might have $20 invested into it who cares. I dont know if long term damage can be done from doing this so dont try it unless you are prepaired to accept what may or may not happen. For me it was no big deal because when I do my build to the car in a couple of years I wont be putting air back into it anyway.

Last edited: