Where To Get A New 7MGTE???

bradenman1

Feb 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
Ok first off let me apologize if this has been posted before i searched some but didnt find much, this is a very expensive decision to make so im just trying to get as much information as i possably can before taking the jump.

Ok i have a 1990 Supra Turbo with 238k on it and the valves over my #4 or 5 cylinder (possibly both) sheered and are being slapped into the head when its started it sounds absolutely horrible. it also has a blow head gasket and coolant is being sucked into the intake hoses and through the turbo some how.

I have been searching motors for awhile and i found a few that i would like to consider but i would really like others input on the situation before hand. Any motor i end up getting is going to be rebuilt and re machined for a MHG to be installed. most of this work will be done in my garage / drive way other than the machining. I will also need a new engine wiring harness due to the completely terrible job the previous owner did trying to re wire certain things and left many wires exposed and they are now brittle and exposed in most places.

I could:

1) Rebuild the block in the car, but i don't trust think i could trust a rebuilt block that has 238k+ miles on it

2) buy an engine from SupraStore with the wiring harness and turbo and everything complete for $1700 shipped to my door step.

3) another supra owner on SM has an engine without a head on it (doesnt know if it runs or not) for $400 that still turns freely at the crank. seems a bit risky to me but thats why im here asking for opinions hahaha

these are just my current options, if anyone else has a suggestion or recommended engine seller please let me know, all information and input is greatly appreciated.

Thank You SM members for reading :)

EDIT:

I Forgot to mention i do have a new turbo/ oil lines and exhaust manifold on the vehicle with less than 1k miles on them so they are not a necessarily required, but who doesnt like having a second turbo laying around for future internal upgrades :)

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
Okay, so you need a new harness and motor, right? Dude, go jz... NOW! It'll cost maybe just a little more upfront than starting over on the M, but the $ and headaches saved down the road will cover that tenfold. They're just better all the way around. Maybe ge-t since you have most of the stuff readily available already? There's really no logical option other than jz...

bradenman1

Feb 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
I have considered a 1jz but i like the idea of a 3.0 turbo over the 2.5 twin or single turbo. i also need a new radiator and i have a used intercooler i need to make custom piping for that came off a SR20DET 240sx. I dont want to deal with all the wiring and all that really either. im on a pretty small budget ill be getting the parts piece by piece ofer about 6 months period.

bradenman1

Feb 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
Ok cool ill PM you just to see my options it may be a few weeks or a month or so before i can get it at this point im having a lot of financial problems with my dad and us keeping our house at the time too so things are up in the air a lot.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Do a tear down, then decide if you can't rebuild it.

bradenman1;1592132 said:
2) buy an engine from SupraStore with the wiring harness and turbo and everything complete for $1700 shipped to my door step.

Is that on the website somewhere?

Last edited:

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
Vrank!!!;1592139 said:
Okay, so you need a new harness and motor, right? Dude, go jz... NOW! It'll cost maybe just a little more upfront than starting over on the M, but the $ and headaches saved down the road will cover that tenfold. They're just better all the way around. Maybe ge-t since you have most of the stuff readily available already? There's really no logical option other than jz...

there's no logical reason why he can't just rebuild the 7m? as long as you do it right the first time and know what you're doin you should keep the headaches to a minimum or no head aches at all!

the 7m is a super solid engine too.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
interesting.
the_more_you_know2.jpg

bradenman1

Feb 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
Nick M;1592167 said:
Do a tear down, then decide if you can't rebuild it.

Is that on the website somewhere?
im not sure if its on this site but its a store iv used for different parts in the past

ohh and i priced a &MGTE at advanced its 2800 for a new short block no head or anything just a block

I would rebuild the block thats in it but im pretty sure the head is warped and i dont know if i trust it with so many miles on it

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
7Matt-GE;1592226 said:
lol yeah i did, 7mgte, i knew those werent made brand new i was just curious if toyota even made any straight six engines anymore :)

Yep. But not for us. And not the inline six you are thinking of, but for Land Cruisers outside the US. And their turbo diesel V8.

bradenman1

Feb 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
Anyone have any input on rebuilding the block in the car? is it even worth rebuilding it with that many miles and countless overheats when i got the car i noticed all the coolant lines to the coolant reservoir were spungy and had a burnt rusty look to them and the rubber was stickey to the touch like it had been boiled and baked many times.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
My engine was overheated so badly the block surface was machined 12 thou before it was clean again. I also went .020 over pistons and it's working fine so far! 195,000 before the rebuild, too

If you do rebuild- replace all of the rubber coolant lines on the car- do not re-use a single one if the coolant had oil in it. That's just begging for a blowout, and Sean (funky_monkey58) will tell you how engines act without coolant...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
toyotanos;1592815 said:
My engine was overheated so badly the block surface was machined 12 thou before it was clean again....

You know the spec is .001", not .012". That would be one thick headgasket. The problem is pistons sticking out of the hole, as well as a weaker deck surface. I am glad it is running good.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yep, it couldn't keep a composite gasket from blowing out. Using a 2.0mm Cometic which brought compression to 8.3:1.