Where to get a Head Lapper?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Wow, I can remember back years ago when every other conversation about the head was about lapping and doing it yourself. Well 4 or 6 years ago no one really understood what was involved or where to get the tools and I would say nothing has changed. I had to make my own lapping tools. just ask your machine shop to provide the ra that is needed for your headgasket.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I know what you mean. I would rather grill my own steak then eat one at the steak house. So I made my own lap tools and felt good about being able to do it myself.

ddmcse

AmpHead
Aug 10, 2005
NE CT USA
www.ddmcse.com
i was told that using the lapping tool was a waste of time too.

using a lapping tool is not a waste of time

for those of us without a complete garage at our finger tips
the lapping tool works well

i did have the head surfaced but still lapped the head and did all the block work by hand
you can say what you want but my supra is RUNNING
and 3 years later my work is sill good
http://www.ddmcse.com/turbo/bhg_2003.htm
if more guys could get their hands on a lapping tool there would be less supras sent to an early grave

Last edited:

supraboy77

Jul 3, 2005
ontario
jmcboost said:
Where are those shops? I live in St. Louis MO area, and need one. All the shops around here don't want to help.

can't help you friend, wish i could. you might want to go talk to the service manager at ford dealership and ask him/her where they get the heads from their modular V8's machined (they require a very low ra because of the use of MLS head gaskets). you might get lucky and find a dealership that actually does good work and gets the head machined properly.