Where the hell is it going?

RedComet13

Rock n Rolla
Mar 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
So I've been having a recent Problem with Coolant Leaks? My Radiator Stays full but My coolant Reservoir Empties Fairly Quickly (within three 3 Days of filling) there are no obvious signs or smoke but I do smell the syrupy goodness of coolant somewhere. The Problem is Right now its pretty chilly in Texas but once summer comes Im sure That Needle will be rising. Im planning on changing the thermostat by the weekend But I've been looking for Coolant system burping threads and Any ideas from Supra heads to help me out. Any ideas? Similar issues? :1zhelp:

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
For burping, raise the front of the car (with rad cap off, and car obviously cool) turn the heat on and allow the car to run until you see no more "bubbles". Add coolant as needed.

Check the overflow tank for cracks. Also, when you check the over flow tank do you notice its covered in coolant or has gotten wet at all?

RedComet13

Rock n Rolla
Mar 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the advice.
I haven't noticed any leaks from underneath the car unless it's a slow leak, And i haven't noticed any moisture or wetness on the reservoir, But To try and remedy the problem 2 nights ago I added 50/50 coolant filling half of the reservoir Assuming I was over filling Or that it was expelling coolant for some reason? But This Morning My Coolant Reservoir Warning light on My dash Lit up again, albeit for a short amount of time before my engine warmed up and I was ready to hit the road for work. I've expierienced a like problem before but then again I normally don't use the heating or cooling system regularly so I'm assuming that since because temps. have been dipping maybe its giving me grief???

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
You could be leaking coolant somewhere that it will burn off leaving no remedies of it being there.

Try letting this thread go for a little longer, and wait till the upper experienced guys chime in. Im sure there are other reasons why you cooling system is acting that way.

But the worst case is bhg.

Have you attempted to burp the car yet?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
airhead04;1468645 said:
You could be leaking coolant somewhere that it will burn off leaving no remedies of it being there.

The word you're looking for is remnants. ;)

OP- get a Tracerline kit. It's worth it's weight in gold. ;)

RedComet13

Rock n Rolla
Mar 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I pray I dont have BHG
::bhg::
I think the Engine Shop I purchased it commented they'd do it for me For a few Bucks, I might take them up on the offer because currently I don't have much Space to work on the car just yet. I Will do the burping, thermostat, and a belt change next weekend after payday. I've also Wondered about the idea of the coolant burning up or evaporating due to heat Since I can't find a sign of wetness but I can still smell Syrup under the hood.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
where do you smell the coolant? In the engine bay or from the exhaust.

If in the engine bay, pressurize the system and see where it leaks.

RedComet13

Rock n Rolla
Mar 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Under the hood is where i smell the coolant, I haven't checked for the syrupy note in the exhaust. But I have been noticing White Exhaust Fumes From the muffler, Then again its pretty damn cold outside So i figured that The Heat the engine is producing Greatly exaggerates The look of the smoke. Im honestly not sure because I live at an apartment and Don't have a temperature controlled environment to check it in.