Where do you buy steering rack boots?!?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I tried a search for steering boots, but not much luck.
I Googled all over the place for a boot kit, but I couldn't find much there, either. Just wondering:
Does anyone know of a place other than dealer ($75 a pair!) that would have these? The usual auto parts stores didn't have them...

OR...

Are there any units from OTHER makes or models that people have used with success?

Any help would be appreciated.
:icon_bigg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
For future searches, that part is called a bellows boot. I don't think Toyota calls it that, and I don't know if they sell it seperate. They probably sell it.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Does anyone make and sell Polyurethane Boots for Supras? Or has any found a set of Poly's that fit another car but will also fit Supras? When I do replace mine I would prefer Poly since its lasts like forever even when exposed to tranny fluid.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I dunno- but I ordered a separate left and right part, they cost a different amount per side. I'll let you all know when they arrive.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, It looks like both sides are different:

p558608_1.jpg

The part numbers

p558608_2.jpg

The top of each

p558608_3.jpg

Bottom

Hopefully, I'll get to replace all the tie rods and these boots this week.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
FYI-
The driver's side boot (the one with the small end) does NOT fit properly.
The large end is too large, and I had to tighten down the zip tie to keep it on.
I dunno if it's the wrong part altogether, or if it's for a different year.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I got em from o'reillys for like $15 apiece...

and they where the same part number for both sides, and the ones that came off looked identicle to eachother...

THe new ones don't look exactly the same as the old ones, but the work fine, just don't use the stupid zipties to put them on, use your old clamps...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
On 86.5-88's and 89-92 N/A's without PPS, they're the same on both sides.
On 89-92 Turbos and 89-92 N/A's with PPS, they're not the same on both sides.

Make sure you get the right ones. :)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well then, I'm confused, Jeff.
I have an 88 NA, and they are very different from each other: The passenger side inner tie rod incorprates the simmy damper mount, and because of this, that side uses a boot that goes from the inner mount to the damper mount, which has equal width ends. This one covers the steering rack end where it moves in and out of the steering rack case. Outside of the damper mount(looking towards the outer tie rod), there is a tiny boot which covers the ball joint of the inner tie rod
1014226.jpg

This pic represents Both tie rods that I received

1014227.jpg

This pic represents what was originally on my car, and what I needed to get. Notice how the body of the tie rod is threaded for the installation of an outer lock nut, to hold the damper mount in place.
As is, I've had to remove the shimmy damper for now. Haven't really noticed any change to the steering feel, though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Jeff Lange said:
On 86.5-88's and 89-92 N/A's without PPS, they're the same on both sides.
On 89-92 Turbos and 89-92 N/A's with PPS, they're not the same on both sides.

Make sure you get the right ones. :)

I got an 89 with PPS, had the same boot on both sides...

also, the 89+ has a smaller PS pump pulley which probably allows more flow/pressure, and they don't have the dampener on them either...