Where could I put an 8" driver up front?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm having pipe dreams of a 3-way front stage in my car right now, mainly because I'm bored. I'm curious as to if I would be able to put a pair of 8" drivers somewhere, like the inner sides of the footwells, on the sides of the radio. I'm not at home right now, so I can't take measurements.

Or maybe I could remove the 6.5s from my doors, fit some 8" drivers in there, and put some 4" midranges somewhere else in the door.

Oooh, or maybe a really shallow driver in a crazy box under the seats........

I need this to be as stealth as possible though.

hmmm.....I like random mid-night thoughts.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't want rear armrest boxes. It'll pull my soundstage back too much.

I don't NEED 8" drivers, I WANT 8" drivers. Although a 6.5" is a decent driver, it lacks the output lower down. I don't want to run my sub up to 80hz, I want to be able to play my doors at high levels down to the 65hz area.

I was considering panels underneath the dash, sort of like the MKII Supra had that sub tucked in the dash. The passenger side might be trickey in this case though, as I have my V-Pro mounted in the foot well, under the dash.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
annoyingrob said:
I'm having pipe dreams of a 3-way front stage in my car right now, mainly because I'm bored. I'm curious as to if I would be able to put a pair of 8" drivers somewhere, like the inner sides of the footwells, on the sides of the radio. I'm not at home right now, so I can't take measurements.

Or maybe I could remove the 6.5s from my doors, fit some 8" drivers in there, and put some 4" midranges somewhere else in the door.

Oooh, or maybe a really shallow driver in a crazy box under the seats........

I need this to be as stealth as possible though.

hmmm.....I like random mid-night thoughts.

i had a local car audio shop make these 8" speaker pods....
IMG_3638.sized.jpg

IMG_3641.sized.jpg

They're 8" Focal Coaxials, and I have Image Dynamics 5-1/4+tweet up front.

I plan to add a pair of low depth 12s in the hatch in a false floor later on.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I doubt you'll get any decent sub bass response up front. The doors would just rattle like crazy. A 3-way system with a 6.5" in the door with a proper amp will give you heaps of full-range front-stage sound, and add an 8" sub or 2 in the rear for sub-fill. Or buy a miata, they can fit 8's into the doors :)

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tekdeus said:
I doubt you'll get any decent sub bass response up front. The doors would just rattle like crazy. A 3-way system with a 6.5" in the door with a proper amp will give you heaps of full-range front-stage sound, and add an 8" sub or 2 in the rear for sub-fill. Or buy a miata, they can fit 8's into the doors :)
Sound deadener in the doors will stop any rattles.

I already run a properly amped 6.5" component set up front. I was about to go active, and just had an idea of adding an 8" mid-bass up front too, as I now have the processing power for a proper 4-way active setup. I didn't want a thread of nay-sayers, I just wanted some ideas.

Looking at the car, I think the best solution would be to build some pods underneath the stock locations, right at the bottom of the doors.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
the whole point of getting midbass is to dedicate the 100hz-250hz range away from the Mid range and Tweeter. i currently am looking for a way to get the lows back that i lost when put in my Infinity 2-way's. they are REALLY sensative and are awesome with reproducing Mids and Highs. however, since they are loose and sensative, they suffere on the low end.

i would say, dont try to run midbass/woofers down to the 85hz range in the doors. sound deadener wont stop the window from rattling in the guides, nor will it stop the door lock and handle actuator rods from rattling. the sound deadener just stops the vast expanses of sheet metal from buckling.

cross the Subwoofer in at 100hz. the nice thing about getting a Subwoofer is that the soundwave is omnidirectional and wont affect your staging. however, trying to run a midbass low enough will affect your staging. right?

i also need a stealthy solution to getting lows back into my car. i have two-ways right now... i gotta find a way to get that 3rd way in there! i dont want a big guady enclosure. i dont want to try to mount a woofer to my fiber-composite door panels like that guys 8" focal tumor. i have no interest in any sort of generic subwoofer enclosure taking up trunk space either.

anyone ever put 5.25"s in the rear seat side panels where there are 4" speakers? i know if i put my midbass back there, itll move the stage rearward more... but w/ the mids and highs in my doors being as loud as they are, it should make the stage seem to be in the center of the passenger compartment.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
i dunno... how much room do we have under our seats? someone else mentioned fitting a short mount sub like that under the front seats. i guess my friend found one made for S2000's so i would assume we could fit something too.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm considering making my own 8" box to put on the floor of the back seats.

As a strict rule, NOBODY ever rides in the back of my car. Only the girlfriend and I have clearance for that area.... and we don't exactly need the legroom ;)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i have all ways like 6.5 in the lower door custom then then 4 inc in stock 88 place really don't like the 5.5 in my 92 staging is kinda crappy

io think i going to swap out my blue 92 doors and pods

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
An 8" midbass in a RHD Supra? All I gotta say is, good luck. :)

8" midbass in a vehicle is overkill, IMO. Only really needed in an SQ comp vehicle.

If you have the processing power for a stereo 4-way setup, then you should easily be able to seamlessly mate a 6.5" mid with the subwoofers...provided both are installed in optimum enclosures and powered accordingly.