When will the turbo spool? How much boost?

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Is it possible to find out when a specific turbo will spool on a specific motor, and how much boost there will be at various rpms?
Im pretty sure I would need the turbine sizes of the turbo in use, but what else would i need? Engine size, etc?
I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but will i need to know how much exhaust is given out at a specific rpm?

Also, If someone could provide me with the info and some sort of a calculator that is online or something it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
eman2289;1085773 said:
Is it possible to find out when a specific turbo will spool on a specific motor, and how much boost there will be at various rpms?
Im pretty sure I would need the turbine sizes of the turbo in use, but what else would i need? Engine size, etc?
I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but will i need to know how much exhaust is given out at a specific rpm?

Also, If someone could provide me with the info and some sort of a calculator that is online or something it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Garrett turbos and check turbo lesson 101 and look for flow mapping.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Spool characteristics are primarily a result of turbine A/R vs Engine size

Smaller a/r = quicker spool (higher exhaust velocity)

Larger engine = quicker spool (more exhaust mass)

What size turbo are you thinking of, on what sized engine?

madmax98

Jul 2, 2008
CA
Doward;1090284 said:

where would that put a 3.0 L with t3t04E .81 A/R turbine

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
i think it changes from one engine to another, i could not build any boost with my 7mgte with the stock ct26 if i revved to 6000rpm parked, and i saw a qr25de building 6psi doing the same thing and it was a 2.5L, but it revved a lot faster than the 7m.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Doward;1090284 said:

Thanks. I know this info already. What I am looking for is solid, specific numbers. Some sort of equation possibly?
Kwik, ill be sure to look that up once I get home. Sidekicks are slow, ill check it out on my computer.