When to use race gas?

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
What is the level to start using race gas? I am boosting at 20 psi right now and I want to crank it 25 psi. My afr is still at 11 at 20 psi. I really can't know when knock or detonation occur because I've never experienced it. Maybe I should boost at 25 psi on pump gas and see what happen.

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
My rule of thumb has always been anything over 19-20psi and I'm using race gas. 25psi is pretty high not to be using race gas.

What sized turbo are you using? I would recommend using a higher octane if you want to turn up the boost anymore.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I wouldn’t run more than 18 psi on pump. At 20 psi you are in very dangerous territory, especially if you get "other than 93" from the pump. It happens, just because you pay for 93 doesn’t always guarantee you are getting 93.

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
i'm interested in this also.
i run sunoco 94 daily, but been afraid to run more than 18psi.
i got it to hit 22psi (<accidentally) once, it felt AWESOME..lol

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Simple anything above 17psi dailey is unsafe for pump gas.

I would invest in meth water injection its cheap you could even use a push design where you dont need pump and use a hyperdermic needle theres tones of info on this if you cant aford snow or what ever kit and of course you could get a gallon of de icer from wall mart for 99&#162;

Depending if you have a knock monitor system and a standalone to adjust timming dont go above 17 on pump gas.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Waiting for it to rattle so you can hear it and then put the race gas in isn't the greatest idea unless you just enjoy the rebuilds. You can't go by boost alone either. You need to have a good picture of what is going on in your setup and when you are pushing it too hard on pump swill. Being a bit conservative here is the only real way to keep the detonation fairy from making a visit to your pistons.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
Right now I am using ct26 62-1, I am going to put on boss 550, 67 mm turbo. I guess I am going to invest on water injection, water is cheaper than race fuel. My wife already pissed when she saw the boss 550 turbo. I don't know what'll happen when she see water injection kit. I already wasted 700 bucks on Emanage blue and AFPR and I didn't use them since I use lex afm/550. I am going to be in deep shit.

Thanks

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
zurud;982300 said:
My wife already pissed... I don't know what'll happen when she see water injection kit. ... I am going to be in deep shit.

I feel ya. I'm constantly justifying car stuff to my wife. We've been married for a long time and she's more or less accepted it.

Some guys gamble, some guys fool around etc. I buy car parts.

One word of advice. Flowers.:icon_bigg

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
zurud;982300 said:
Right now I am using ct26 62-1, I am going to put on boss 550, 67 mm turbo. I guess I am going to invest on water injection, water is cheaper than race fuel. My wife already pissed when she saw the boss 550 turbo. I don't know what'll happen when she see water injection kit. I already wasted 700 bucks on Emanage blue and AFPR and I didn't use them since I use lex afm/550. I am going to be in deep shit.

Thanks

I'm sorry i don't like meth injection/water injection, I have seen a few car go boom when the pump fails or the neddle failed, Get it tuned on 93 for daily driving & race gas for the track.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
suprabad;982307 said:
I feel ya. I'm constantly justifying car stuff to my wife. We've been married for a long time and she's more or less accepted it.

Some guys gamble, some guys fool around etc. I buy car parts.

One word of advice. Flowers.:icon_bigg

Thank god my wife loves the supra, Shes the reason i have a AEM ems, She is a great book keeper & saves me shit load of money, Flowers & sex is a great way to get to them :naughty:

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Yes any time you race your car anything could go boom if done incorrectly.
Last race drag event I went to I watched a new C5 vette hit his NOS and the stater blew off and landed on the roof. engine was on fire try claiming that with your insurance adjuster.

I garentee you for racing and getting the extra power for the buck safely meth/water is 100X safer and better for your engine and race.

If you do meth water wrong it just cost $800 1JZ long block or 2jz bottome end.
NOS wrong could blow your car up.

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
i used to run 76 100octane before on my old 87 at 25psi. this was on a stock engine with advanced timing. right now, i'm at stock timing at 18-22psi on 91 octane. its possible to make a good amount of power on 91 octane, you just have to keep the pinging under control, do that and you're golden. at 22psi i still dont ping, even during the day.