when is rod knock not rod knock

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Imagine if a doctor opened you up without the appropriate diagnostics beforehand. I am a big fan of proper diagnostics first, then operating second. So I must recommend a mechanic's stethoscope. I know one guy over there on SF mentioned using as scewdriver with the metal side towards the engine and the other side near your ear. Before he said that, I was thinking the same thing but with a stethoscope as I am sure it works MUCH better and can be used in harder to reach places as well. The price of a brand new one is less than $10 USD! I would always be as sure as I can be before operating--just like a surgeon.

Well, am I right? I, myself, have never used one on an engine, so I am only speculating as to how well they work. I know MK3Brent has used them, but I am only sure he used them on humans (heheh). So are mechanic's stethoscopes as great a diagnostic tool as I am lead to believe or what? For less than the $10 required to buy one, I would give myself the chance to devolop my own opinion.

Here is where they are listed in eBay, to save you the search in case you care to see them or what they go for:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/searc...ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=2&fsoo=2

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supra90turbo said:
bad wrist pin or cracked flex plate
We have a WINNER! ;)

Flex Plate!

From the supplied info low oil pressure at idle was my first guess Suze plugged a mechanical gauge in and confirmed it had 38 psi at idle so the cracked flex plate was my second option.

I agree with Tony online diagnosis is very hard but if there are enough clues and people are willing to follow some basic procedures you can usually pin it down! (It's NOT rocket science)

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Im with Orion I remember when I had a knocking sound in my eclipse and it turned out that the exhaust was hitting the crossmember because one of the engine mount bolts had backed out (which amazingly was still sitting in the engine bay even after a couple hundered miles)

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
1TuffSupra said:
Im with Orion I remember when I had a knocking sound in my eclipse and it turned out that the exhaust was hitting the crossmember because one of the engine mount bolts had backed out (which amazingly was still sitting in the engine bay even after a couple hundered miles)

Haha, actually thats the exact car I was refering to! My friend has a 2G GS-T and it rattles all the time at low speeds

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
yay!! ::does a little dance:: lol
i would never have guessed it if i hadnt heard one before.
thats one downright scary noise, right there!!

glad it wasnt rodknock, suze.

KrZyV3

Apr 1, 2005
What is a flexplate? I also have a ticking coming from the 7M and am thinking its the exhaust mani. No, its not rodknock, because I've heard it before..........in my old 7MGE...LOL.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
what about a chattering buzzing sound comeing from the bellhousing.... and a whirrrrr cilck when you move hte gear selector from N-D-N-R to P. that little whirrrrrrr pause chatter buzz buzzz chatter.

..... and how long did it take to swap that felx plate, for the first time im intimidated by my car. so far all repairs MUST be finished in 6 hours or less that is my time limit no matter what it is (except hg) yea i time myself when i do repairs, mainly cus i gotta finish before dad gets home from work and can ask questions as to what im doing.