When cold = full boost but no acceleration?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I don't think it was 02 sensor or bad injectors. Mine were fine. My coolant sensors were fucked though (both gauge and ECU). Makes sense that the ecu wouldn't see boost.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
i have an aftermarket prosport digital water temp gauge with sender unit in place of the stock coolant temp gauge. But what you're saying is it might be worth buying a new sender unit (the one used for signal to the ecu) ? see if that solves the problem..?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Nghty89;1233823 said:
I don't think it was 02 sensor or bad injectors. Mine were fine. My coolant sensors were fucked though (both gauge and ECU). Makes sense that the ecu wouldn't see boost.

1) Fault in the Coolant Sensor or Air Intake Sensor.

Necessity of function: If an open or short occurs in either of these sensors the ECU will judge the temperature to be either below -50 C or above 139 C. As a result the air fuel ratio will become too rich or too lean which could lead to engine roughness or stalling. Ignition timing will also be retarded if the coolant sensor input is deemed too hot.

Action taken: Standard values are substituted. They are 80 C for coolant and 20 C for air. These values are typical for normal engine operation on an average day. This is code 22 and code 24

-JJ

has anyone checked to see if your still in warm up enrichment and open loop when the car is doing this?

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Hmmm. That should read "Ignition timing will also be retarded if the coolant sensor input is deemed too hot". Fixed.

Btw technically it'd be warm up enrichment. Cold start enrichment ceases once the engine is running...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Doubt it's the O2 sensor- If it was dead, you'd prolly get a code for that.
And when it's working, it doesn't go to closed loop till the engine warms up(as mentioned above). AKA- the ECU and motor don't care what the O2 sensor report until things have warmed up. Besides, if you're going to full throttle, the ECU doesn't use the O2 input anyway. Out of curiosity- I went into boost briefly about 60 seconds after starting the car this morning. No problem with power. Check your cold start valve- they can get pretty crudded up in that intake. Don't think it's your fuel pump, otherwise it'd be a problem at all temps, I expect.

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
jetjock;1234181 said:
Hmmm. That should read "Ignition timing will also be retarded if the coolant sensor input is deemed too hot". Fixed.

Btw technically it'd be warm up enrichment. Cold start enrichment ceases once the engine is running...

I agree JJ. I still know of cars that limit power but see full boost just to prevent the motor from cracking by being pushed too hard when eveyrthing is still cold. Hell even old school cars had this problem with the carbs. Kick off the choke when the cars still cold it would cut off fuel supply.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
jdemara;1233862 said:
i have an aftermarket prosport digital water temp gauge with sender unit in place of the stock coolant temp gauge. But what you're saying is it might be worth buying a new sender unit (the one used for signal to the ecu) ? see if that solves the problem..?
The TSRM has a procedure where you can check the wiring and resistance of your stock temp sensor at the ECU, to see if it is OK or not. Mine checked out OK, but the plug is a little loose, and I get a check engine light and code if it is not connected.