when civic owners meet supras

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Just to prove that if its done right a civic can be nice I will get pictures of my friends 97 ek civic. Its running between 350-400hp and he is putting 245's front and rear with 17's on there when I last showed up. His biggest issue is putting all that power down to the ground and this wheel upgrade is the next big step. I am pretty sure he was running 205's before but on ultralights rims and he could break it free at 65 without dropping the clutch (just pinning the throttle)

He has admited that he is looking to do the next vehicle as either a RWD or an AWD so he can get a better launch. I am convincing him right now to try a custom truck with a tubular chassis. I am thinking a 1999-2002 dodge dakota RT Twin turbocharged 360 and a modified auto. He is thinking about it.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
ttsupra2503;1933779 said:
Just to prove that if its done right a civic can be nice I will get pictures of my friends 97 ek civic. Its running between 350-400hp and he is putting 245's front and rear with 17's on there when I last showed up. His biggest issue is putting all that power down to the ground and this wheel upgrade is the next big step. I am pretty sure he was running 205's before but on ultralights rims and he could break it free at 65 without dropping the clutch (just pinning the throttle)

He has admited that he is looking to do the next vehicle as either a RWD or an AWD so he can get a better launch. I am convincing him right now to try a custom truck with a tubular chassis. I am thinking a 1999-2002 dodge dakota RT Twin turbocharged 360 and a modified auto. He is thinking about it.

their use to be a blue with white racing stripes indy 500 dodge shortbox pickup around the corner from where I lived, I always drooled over that thing. Believe it was a v8 5-speed if I'm correct. I thought it was a v10 when I first saw it, and heard the guy reving it up. but after that it never seemed to move from his driveway. he must of worked up north. But I think one of those trucks turbo'd would be nuts, you mostly only see v8's supercharged like that.

ianstaley

Jul 21, 2011
Pontefract
I just love it when some ass pulls up beside me at the traffic light GP. I will sit there and start pumping the gas, getting to around 3 -4 thou, then I pip the horn and just move a little bit, to watch the ass hole take off while we still have the red light. So while I wait for green he is long gone and got a ticket, in Holland most traffic lights have cameras. So when he goes it is usually still red, 300 buck fine here for going through red. When I get to the next light I ask do ya wana race while I am still laughing.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I have no problem making someone run a red lol... my issue is when I originally posted this thread my SUV made a smoke show so big you couldn't see the light or the car. From inside the car I bet you couldn't even see the dash considering he had the windows open. I dont think the camera would have worked lol

I still laugh at beals car parts signature. Make the main character Carribbean and you have my friend with the civic lol

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
I am not sure what to do with myself now that I read this thread. I have both a 89 supra with a 1JZ and a 92 Civic HB with an Integra Type-R motor. Perhaps I need to go slap myself. But I like both cars for varying reasons.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I have news for you guys. All car groups have a following that think "their car is the shit and others can suck a dick" mentality. That includes the MKIII crowd. Most of the guys that think this way are the younger guys (<26). Just because you haven't ran across a Civic that can beat you doesn't mean they don't exist. I got my ass handed to me at the dragstrip by a Civic that layed down a 12.20 @ 114mph, and that was one of the slow Civics out there that night. How many of you can say you run 12.20's or quicker in the 1/4 mile??? That Civic is quicker than probably more than 85% of Supras on this forum. So what it's fwd. I gotta give him some respect.

Last edited:

alliz

Apr 18, 2013
WA
I have a story, just happened tonight. It just so happens he was driving a civic, but it could have been any car honestly. I pull into 7-11 and he was getting out of his car to go to the red box. He stops what he was doing to wait for me to come back out and says "hey what year is that?" I wasn't going to be a dick to the kid since he couldn't have been more than 19 say "87" then his face goes blank. I asked him "Do you know what it is?" he said "Mazda?" so I tole him it was a supra, and got another blank stare... Then he tried to compare it to the the FC RX-7(86-92). I was nice enough to tell him its over double the displacement of the 13B... he still didn't seem to get it.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Lack of knowledge at that age is normal. Next time show him under the hood and explain to him that the rx7, 240 and others are all direct competition but you like this one. Its not that they are the best but I definitely say they have a lot of easy potential and even more HARD to achieve potential. I know guys who run rotary's that would give us a run for our money but they sunk a LOT of money into those motors. In the end, even some of our members are green when it comes to car identification.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
There's a lot of fast cars around here, Evos, Civics, Mustangs, etc etc and I'm smart enough not to mess with them. My friend has an EG HB with a built B16A2 with a GSR trans, turbo, etc. making over 800whp. Last summer he went low 10's making 600's with bad synchos on the 1-2 shift.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
91Supra313;1933033 said:
Showed my wife and she said it is me 100%. She said whenever I have parts incoming, and I see the UPS or FedEx or even USPS pull up, I jump off the couch and run to the door. I never paid attention to it....just comes natural I guess
Some of us are just like dogs in that respect. When I know a package is on the way, and I'm at home, I can usually hear the truck pull up. My ears perk up, my hair stands at attention, etc... :p

ianstaley;1933849 said:
I just love it when some ass pulls up beside me at the traffic light GP. I will sit there and start pumping the gas, getting to around 3 -4 thou, then I pip the horn and just move a little bit, to watch the ass hole take off while we still have the red light. So while I wait for green he is long gone and got a ticket, in Holland most traffic lights have cameras. So when he goes it is usually still red, 300 buck fine here for going through red. When I get to the next light I ask do ya wana race while I am still laughing.
You know, I kinda always wanted to do that to people. Pretend like I wanna race them, and then just... not.

Scott 88-1JZ;1934090 said:
I am not sure what to do with myself now that I read this thread. I have both a 89 supra with a 1JZ and a 92 Civic HB with an Integra Type-R motor. Perhaps I need to go slap myself. But I like both cars for varying reasons.
Dude, variety makes the driving world interesting. In my stable, there sits 4 rather different cars:
-89 1jz turbo Supra (great highway cruiser or if I wanna play with the fast kids around here)
-84 6m NA Supra (great fun around town with the gears and torque of the 6m)
-46 Chevy Fleetmaster (just, you know... cool.)
-93 Lexus LS400 (actually a donor for the Chevy, but as a car, gave me a great appreciation for big, 4 door luxury cars, never thought I'd like one, but man!)

Planning on probably throwing in a rally-built Miata into that mix sometime, probably next year. Because, again... variety.

Suprapowaz!(2);1934127 said:
I have news for you guys. All car groups have a following that think "their car is the shit and others can suck a dick" mentality. That includes the MKIII crowd. Most of the guys that think this way are the younger guys (<26). Just because you haven't ran across a Civic that can beat you doesn't mean they don't exist. I got my ass handed to me at the dragstrip by a Civic that layed down a 12.20 @ 114mph, and that was one of the slow Civics out there that night. How many of you can say you run 12.20's or quicker in the 1/4 mile??? That Civic is quicker than probably more than 85% of Supras on this forum. So what it's fwd. I gotta give him some respect.
Dude, the last SILV there was, in 2010, there were a LOT of fast Hondas at LVMS. Most of them were running 10-11 second quarter mile times. Funny thing is, it really isn't all that hard to do anymore. Basically just a big bike engine in a car...

Speaking of the ricer mentality though, I notice two camps where I live:
-diesel truck guys, who think the "feel" of all that torque means their truck is fast, and
-Subaru WRX guys, who all seem to have migrated from the Civics they once had/wanted. :p

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
The last week before I dropped off my Supra for the engine swapout, a couple of Hon-duh kids near where I lived met me as I was coming out of a 7-11 and asked me about my car. When I told them it was an '87 Supra, one of them snorted and said "Are you Fast, or Furious?"

I just shook my head and said "Neither... yet. When I finish my engine build I probably will be."

His idiot friend laughed and said, "What do you have in there now, and what could you POSSIBLY put in there that would beat our VTEC hatch?"

To that I said, "Well.... it's got a turbo 7M-GTE right now that is running rough, but it'll be "Fast and Furious" when I drop in the 2JZ."

I swear to you guys... this is EXACTLY what happened next.

Both kids actually turned white as sheets for a minute, then one of them gets this puzzled look on his face and asks me...

"Why would you want to put a HONDA engine in a Toyota?!"

You just can't fix stupid. No matter how hard you try.

If all your historical events are learned through television and movie media, your future ain't very high-def.

Gmelo30

Aug 7, 2012
Wappingers Falls, NY
Drake69;1935734 said:
Both kids actually turned white as sheets for a minute, then one of them gets this puzzled look on his face and asks me...

"Why would you want to put a HONDA engine in a Toyota?!"
I laughed so hard when I saw that.
Near me I tell people I have a mk3 supra, first thing everyone asks "Does it have a 2jz swap, because if it doesn't its a pile."
I get that from nearly everyone except for the car crowd that are in their late 20's and early 30's who actually know/work on cars, and tell me that car is a lot fun just make sure to get the head gasket issue fixed.

I will also never forget the time I was reading car magazines at my local Barnes and Nobles and a group of kids (17 or 18) walk in a grab a couple of the magazines and while they were talking about their cars one kid says, "Man I cant wait to paint the block in my b20 hatch back bright pink, I want to have it ready for Honda Day." Then I just thought to myself "Why pink?"

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Gmelo30;1935830 said:
I laughed so hard when I saw that.
Near me I tell people I have a mk3 supra, first thing everyone asks "Does it have a 2jz swap, because if it doesn't its a pile."
I get that from nearly everyone except for the car crowd that are in their late 20's and early 30's who actually know/work on cars, and tell me that car is a lot fun just make sure to get the head gasket issue fixed.

I will also never forget the time I was reading car magazines at my local Barnes and Nobles and a group of kids (17 or 18) walk in a grab a couple of the magazines and while they were talking about their cars one kid says, "Man I cant wait to paint the block in my b20 hatch back bright pink, I want to have it ready for Honda Day." Then I just thought to myself "Why pink?"

hahaha yeah, i don't hate on hondas personally, they have nice bikes and I seen some some crazy NSX's up in calgary near me and the s2000 is a classy roadster. but I think the fact civics are cheap, reliable daily drivers is why they get such a bad "ricey" crowd. But I'm surprised for such a small city I live in poeple have a lot of respect for my car when they hear 1jz, their is a ALOT of nissan guys and apparently going 1jz/2jz is the thing to do now. Not to mention if you want to go 6 cylinders I'm sure skyline motors are alot harder to get parts for then jz series.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Hondas will always be the go to car for beginning car hobbyists. But I think subarus now a days are more popular in the "rice department" than Honda's.

I live in a large town. (not quite a city) and the Hondas around here that considered a project car are way clean and look great. A couple are avid road course and auto cross racers. The subarus around here are in a "club" with a bunch of stickers on all of them and one of them has a roll cage and tells everyone his in the 9 second club. Me and my buddy who has a gti have both beat him. We have been asked if we run 8s just cuz we beat him and we replied we actually run 13s.

The rumors in the town about the car scene is quite funny.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2