When are custom fuel lines required?

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
So I am gearing up for my engine/tranny/tubo install and the subject of fuel has come to my attention. I still have the stock fuel lines in my car but I know that many higher powered cars are running upgraded single or even dual lines. I want to know when it becomes necessary to upgrade the fuel feed and return lines.

My current system will have a single walbro, Aeromotive FPR, RC 550's and I will be shooting for 450 whp on a conservative tune with a MAFT-Pro.

The engine I bought came with a braided feed line from the rail down about a foot or so to a banjo type fitting. What does this attach to on the car?
p1436858_1.jpg

p1436858_2.jpg

p1436858_3.jpg

I believe that this is the dampener and my assumption is that when he made the fuel line he incorporated this stock dampener. Is there any reason I would want to delete this or is it a necessary piece?
p1436858_4.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Added some pics to clarify the issue a bit. The whole reason I'm thinking of changing them now is that I have to drop the tank anyways and the engine is already out of the car. Wouldn't take much to run a new set of lines. I'll do it if necessary but otherwise I will spend the money elsewhere or keep it in my pocket.

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
If your power goals are 450-500, you will be fine with the factory lines given that your pump or pumps are up to it. As far as the factory lines being free of dirt and or rust from being open to air, that's a different story. Flush them well. IIRC the stock chassis lines should be good to at least 6-650hp. Now dont quote me on that, there are a lot of factors that have to be added in. IE; have you up graded the rail, j-tube delete, FPR, new high pressure/flow pump/pumps, injectors, ect... Also what if any alt. fuels are you running, Meth, Nitrous, and how much. You can also remove the return on the system and noit have to worry about having to push the fuel back to the tank and relieve a bit of stress on the system. This is more in depth though.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Rail is factory, j-tube is gone, Aeromotive FPR, Walbro 255, RC 550's. Only fuel to be run will be 91-94 octane pump gas.

Sounds like it won't be necessary but I will see how it all looks when I drop the fuel tank.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Txsupra;1437023 said:
If your power goals are 450-500, you will be fine with the factory lines given that your pump or pumps are up to it. As far as the factory lines being free of dirt and or rust from being open to air, that's a different story. Flush them well. IIRC the stock chassis lines should be good to at least 6-650hp. Now dont quote me on that, there are a lot of factors that have to be added in. IE; have you up graded the rail, j-tube delete, FPR, new high pressure/flow pump/pumps, injectors, ect... Also what if any alt. fuels are you running, Meth, Nitrous, and how much. You can also remove the return on the system and noit have to worry about having to push the fuel back to the tank and relieve a bit of stress on the system. This is more in depth though.

I didn't think you could run a injected setup with no return line. Wouldn't the pressure to the injectors from the pump just go sky high, never mind the stress that would put your pump under.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
not a clue as to the limits of the stock lines. Im betting money on it your fine considering im running an identical setup and i dd mine with no issue for fuel. (same tunner/pump/fpr/Inj etc...w/sp61 at 15-18psi)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Txsupra;1437023 said:

WTF?? Do you believe the bullshit you speak or do you just talk and talk too hear your own voice!

How the hell do you simply block off the fuel return short of doing a 100% custom job with special pumps etc???

K_SHAN

don't taze me bro!
Jul 3, 2009
eagle, IDAHO!
lol ^^ i also have a similair question.. since im doin a 2jz-gte build. im looking to get 700 out of this bad boy. probly on e85. so wut would i need.. besides 2 255 walbros and bigger injectors. wut size lines and where do i get them. also should i get a fuel cell?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
K_SHAN;1437445 said:
lol ^^ i also have a similair question.. since im doin a 2jz-gte build. im looking to get 700 out of this bad boy. probly on e85. so wut would i need.. besides 2 255 walbros and bigger injectors. wut size lines and where do i get them. also should i get a fuel cell?

You're definately going to have to redo your fuel lines. You probably shouldn't run a fuel cell either since you're not going to get that many miles to the gallon with e85. You'll need all the fuel capacity you can get unless you're just traveling from one service station to the next. I've heard you use thirty percent more e85 than fuel.

I would say my stock lines were maxed out @ 620rwhp. I dyno'd not too long ago and at that horsepower my afr's went to 12.1 with methanol injection.
I just dyno'd this past weekend at the same horsepower with three psi less and my fuel looked great. I don't dare try to make any more power until I change my stock fuel lines to a -10 or -8 depending on what my research comes up with. Hope this helps, Jay

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
(reply to K shan) ^ id consider somthing bigger then dual walbros. Also considering walbro has never offically said their stuff will last on strait e85 would have me looking down a different path.

do you even know how much fuel your really going to need? you know there are calculators out there that will help you get into a ball park range...

back on topic..

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
gaboonviper85;1437438 said:
WTF?? Do you believe the bullshit you speak or do you just talk and talk too hear your own voice!

How the hell do you simply block off the fuel return short of doing a 100% custom job with special pumps etc???

Guess you cant read the whole post, must be too busy trying to type I mean "talk" to yourself. I specifically said "this is more in depth". Yes you can run with out a return. Yes you need a stand alone or piggy back pump controller. Of course i believe this its fact. Read a book or maybe read around on this forum. There are people running every type of fuel setup on a Supra some where. Just because you dont know about it doesnt mean its not true.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Txsupra;1437536 said:
Guess you cant read the whole post, must be too busy trying to type I mean "talk" to yourself. I specifically said "this is more in depth". Yes you can run with out a return. Yes you need a stand alone or piggy back pump controller. Of course i believe this its fact. Read a book or maybe read around on this forum. There are people running every type of fuel setup on a Supra some where. Just because you dont know about it doesnt mean its not true.

And who the hell does this??!! I mean seriously....you really think that was worth mentioning?

If I'm not mistaken, you're the one who removed the abs unit from your car cause of some crazy reason? Then decided too scrap the supra project cause your car has too many problems? This comes as no suprize!

Dude asked a simple question pertaining too reality of his situation which is let's say " right here ".....your answer "way way way the hell -------->"...

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Well since you don't know who your talking to or about, stay on topic.

No I didn't scrap my ABS, no I didn't give up on shit. I no I don't have problems with my car. Whats a surprise (ffy) is that your trying to make me look dumb, which isn't working for you, with out even adding any actual "tech" information to this tech section question. OP asked when its necessary to upgrade the fuel lines. so after giving an answer to that, I added some suggestions to how they can be upgraded. And you :cry::cry::cry:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
That was my bad...I am indeed sorry for that!

My point does not change though...don't feed bull like "returnless fuel system" for a question so basic...

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
OEM lines are fine to 600 but personally, I would add them before. (depending on budget of course) If your goal is lower,(which it is) fine, leave it.

Rail, leave it, unless you plan on making a lot more power than I have. (I still run OEM rail)

Done!

Duane

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
the other cool thing about running new lines is the fact you can 50 yard punt and adios the stock fuel filter. you may look into the fuel line like IJ runs. it works well and cheaper than doing full stainless. my full #10 to dual #6 at the rail in stainless added up in a hurry!

the stock return will be fine.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Im going aluminum -8 feed and -6 return lines as its MUCH cheaper then braided stainless. But even still i have about 200 dollars in hose ends and fittings to make it work along with 6 foot section of -8 and -6 braided to make flex sections to the motor and fuel tank.

Over all budget fuel system cost about 450-500. with a single walbro, and aeromotive AFPR, Havnt added the second yet as im still getting my car together.

p1438622_1.jpg

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
gaboonviper85;1437542 said:
And who the hell does this??!! I mean seriously....you really think that was worth mentioning?

If I'm not mistaken, you're the one who removed the abs unit from your car cause of some crazy reason? Then decided too scrap the supra project cause your car has too many problems? This comes as no suprize!

Dude asked a simple question pertaining too reality of his situation which is let's say " right here ".....your answer "way way way the hell -------->"...

me