When advancing the timing...

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
I want to advance my timing to about 14 but after reading/searching I still need some help. Do I set the crank to 14 [instead of 10] or do I set the distributor? or both?

Sorry if the questions seem lame, I just need some input.

Thanks!

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
you have to have the car started and a timing gun, then just turn the distributor as needed and use the timing gun to check where the crank is at

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
2543arvin said:
Well then, why are you trying to advance the timing?

Because I want to squeeze a little more power out of an N/A.
And when I said "I'm not the best mechanic" I just meant my experience is lacking. My actual work is rather decent IMO, because I rebuilt my entire motor mostly, by myself.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Get a timing light connected and start the car. Jump the two pins on the diagnostic connector (sorry, can't remember if it's T and E1 or E and T1), loosen the distibutor adjustment bolt, and turn it until you have 12-14 degrees BTDC. Make sure you run 91 octane fuel you will be worse off than when you started.

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
BlackMKIII said:
Get a timing light connected and start the car. Jump the two pins on the diagnostic connector (sorry, can't remember if it's T and E1 or E and T1), loosen the distibutor adjustment bolt, and turn it until you have 12-14 degrees BTDC. Make sure you run 91 octane fuel you will be worse off than when you started.

Awesome. thank you so much BlackM!