Wheelstuds,oem or a.m.

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
well, i broke a rear wheelstud this weekend on my mk3, actually, it fell off during normal driving. However it was probable already weak. i broke a rear one also about 2 years ago, and just replaced it by regular stud that i got at the local parts store.
well this time i figuered im gonna change all of them,as i do drive my supra, and bring it to the track once in a while to do some lapping.
this time when i ordered the studs at the same parts store, the studs are 1\4 inch shorter. now i will replace that 1 stud for the meantime,
BUT... what could i replace it with? i did a search and saw that someone put the arp studs for a lexus is300 and that they did fit for the mk3, but that they are longer. i currently have mk4 tt wheels on and don't plan on changing them.
or should i just go get some oem replacements? i will however change all 20 of them for piece of mind.
ANY informational input would be appreciated!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
improper installation? lol

if i was going to change all of them i would go with aftermarket ones that were stronger, and a little longer so i had some more thread engagement.

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
Rennat;1118118 said:
improper installation? lol

i highly doubt it!!;)
i'll meausre
take the measurements of the stock, and compare with the kit for the is300 that arp offers, and i'll see if the stud as much longer!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There is a reason I buy VERY little from a parts store. Most of it is JUNK compared to the original equipment on a vehicle.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
I was going to replace mine with matrix AWD wheel studs. It may have only been the rear ones off the matrix, it has been awhile since i bought one to compare.

That way it is still oem, just about 1/4" longer or so i believe. I have had that single wheel stud in my glovebox for about a year and a half now. :biglaugh:

If Jeff Lange chimes in he could shed more light on it, as he was the one who helped me find the Matrix studs.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread -- one of the previous owners had 1/4" wheel spacers behind the front wheels to flush them out a bit more -- only problem there was that there was only 1/4" thread engagement on the lugs. This ended up stripping the lug nuts 1/4" in, so I had to replace 'em all....I'd kind of like to put the spacers back on though, since the wheels look kind of odd at certain angles without them. I'm thinking a stud that's 1/2" longer than OEM would be perfect.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
OEM's are about $5 each. I replaced all 5 on each front hub for a total of $14, from Oreilly Auto, when I replaced the front wheel bearings.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
Poodles;1118555 said:
ARP comes in a wide selection...

Not sure on the selection range that would work for us, but i'm pretty sure the IS300 studs from arp work, they are quite a bit longer than factory as well.

If my car wasn't so far away i could measure the Stud in my glove box for comparison... Ill see if i can remember when i go out in the next day or two if anyone still cares :)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
IJ.;1118643 said:
Hope you're not using a rattle gun to do em up :(

lol

wheelstuds should not break at all unless you use and impact gun (no way to measure torque), or overtightening by hand.
ALWAYS use an accurate torque wrench to tighten lug nuts!
-pete

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
the is300 studs are quite a bit longer, a good 1\2 inch.
it busted at the base of the of the stud, between the splines and the threads.
i'm gonna go oem and not take a chance.
you say that awd matrix are a little longer?i'll look into that!! thanks