wheel hub problem (video)

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
hey guys,
so I want to know why my wheel moves like this. the wheel bearing is obviously really bad, cuz the body have 230K+ miles on it. I had the car aligned over the summer but it has recently began to pull hard to the left. the driver side wheel bearing had to be replaced when I got it alighted because the wheel could be rocked back and forth. so could this be what caused my alignment to go out? oh and the rocking in this video was going on before the car was aligned too.

thanks

[video=youtube;MJmolrsTu90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJmolrsTu90[/video]

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
From what I can tell your brake is dragging and you're just moving the hub while the rotor stays stationary. (That's not abnormal motion)

Bearing play usually shows in side to side motion. Remove the caliper, the rotor and show us the hub movement.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
You cant diagnose anything by rocking a rotor back and forth without lugnuts. Its supposed have a gap between the studs. You test Wheels bearings with the wheels on and torqued. With the wheel off the ground grab the wheel at the 12-and-6 and 3-and-9 position and rock it. It should have little to no play.

A wheel bearing will not cause a pull. Most pulling complaints are due to tires, worn suspension components, and poor alignment.