Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
projectsupra;1460648 said:
You'll need these adapters, to use them just throw the Z wheels inside and leave the area.

You're better off with sawblades until you save for a set of wheels with proper width and offset. If you're dead set however, they'll bolt right on with inches to spare in every direction.

lmao. thanks. i got them real cheap off a local forum. im just gonna put spare tires on them to burn off til i can resell them.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Does anyone have an idea of how much backspacing there is for the rear? The usual 9.5 +40 offset wheels that are recommended point at about ~7” of backspacing. I’m looking at some 18x11 rims with +35 offset, which is going to be putting the wheels at about 7.25”-7.5” of backspacing so I’m a bit worried that they might be rubbing on the inside. I’d like to put 295-315 size tires on so I’m wondering how much room is going to be back there.

Also, does anyone have any experience with putting 255s in front? There’s one or two examples of people who’ve fit them, but I was wondering how close they were?

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
crimson88;1460865 said:
lmao. thanks. i got them real cheap off a local forum. im just gonna put spare tires on them to burn off til i can resell them.

:: facepalm ::Once again, I will point out, that you will not be able to find "off the shelf" hub-centric rings for these! Nissan hub diameter is; 66.1mm, and Toyota; 60.1mm. Therefor, all the weight of the car will be resting on your wheel studs, and lug nuts!:aigo: This was not the way rims were designed to be utilized.:nono: You could have some made, but why bother if you don't intend to keep the rims on the car for long?:rolleyes:
If you run them anyways, you will experience vibration that wouldn't normally be present, with the correct set up.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
91T breezen';1461982 said:
:: facepalm ::Once again, I will point out, that you will not be able to find "off the shelf" hub-centric rings for these! Nissan hub diameter is; 66.1mm, and Toyota; 60.1mm. Therefor, all the weight of the car will be resting on your wheel studs, and lug nuts!:aigo: This was not the way rims were designed to be utilized.:nono: You could have some made, but why bother if you don't intend to keep the rims on the car for long?:rolleyes:
If you run them anyways, you will experience vibration that wouldn't normally be present, with the correct set up.

This is not 100% true, some rims are designed to be lug and/or hub centric also you may or may not experience any problems running these rims without hub rings the main purpose you want hub rings are to make sure the rims are indeed centered when you install them to avoid vibrations. You don’t believe me do your own research it’s that simple.

Also the weight of the car is not carried on the center bore of the rim this notion is silly the weight is carried by the wheels lugs if weight was meant to be carried on the center bore it would have a big ass nut there, why would you want to carry the weight of a 3600lbs car on plastic hub rings.:3d_frown::3d_frown:

And FYI most tuner lugs are tapered more than factory lugs to help in the centering of aftermarket rims, therefore just use normal lugs with these wheels.

I ran aftermarket rims on my 240sx for 5 years without hub rings and never once had a problem with vibrations.

Last edited:

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
91T breezen';1461982 said:

thanks for the info, sorry you had to tell someone "once again", none of your previous tellings of this fact were in any threads i found while searching, and if it was in this thread, well, its 159 pages. i couldnt bring myself to read through all that. :nono:

Joe

Enjoy the ride
Jan 28, 2009
Santa ana
Anyone remember whosells the 3 spoke wheels, I know there is someone that has them but I been looking to this long tread and i cant find it.:nono:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
supramk3turbo;1462389 said:
Anyone running 18-8.5" 20 offset front, 18-9.5" 25 offset rear?? Would like to see how it looks before i order :)

Thanks.

I have the same sizes w/35 offset and they fit perfect. Dunno if a 20 or 25 offset would stick in too far... It's only about a 10mm difference, I guess.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
ians13;1462002 said:
This is not 100% true, some rims are designed to be lug and/or hub centric also you may or may not experience any problems running these rims without hub rings the main purpose you want hub rings are to make sure the rims are indeed centered when you install them to avoid vibrations. You don’t believe me do your own research it’s that simple.

Also the weight of the car is not carried on the center bore of the rim this notion is silly the weight is carried by the wheels lugs if weight was meant to be carried on the center bore it would have a big ass nut there, why would you want to carry the weight of a 3600lbs car on plastic hub rings.:3d_frown::3d_frown:

And FYI most tuner lugs are tapered more than factory lugs to help in the centering of aftermarket rims, therefore just use normal lugs with these wheels.

I ran aftermarket rims on my 240sx for 5 years without hub rings and never once had a problem with vibrations.

Be careful tho... We have not had the issue with aftermarket wheels until recently. A tire company neglected to reinstall the hubcentric rings we had... For 2 weeks, the lug nuts became loose "on their own." Popping off 4 lugs within 2 weeks.

We did not think it had to do with the missing hubcentric rings, until a wheel flew off... Breaking all 5 lugs, Fing up a wheel that cost me $170 to replace, and another $35 for the "warranty" on the replacement tire.

Luckily, it was a rear wheel at about 45 MPH and it did not damage another car/person. Damaged the heck out of the inside fender. Took me an hour to lift the car and replace the lugs/wheel on the side of the road.

The guys at the tire store gave me the same BS about the lugs centering things, blah, blah, blah.... Not true. Use the rings whenever possible with aftermarket wheels. They are less than $10 a set from Ebay (shipped) and the nylon ones work just fine. Why chance the same type of damage or potential damage, when you can have cheap insurance & peace of mind?

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
Satan;1463523 said:
Be careful tho... We have not had the issue with aftermarket wheels until recently. A tire company neglected to reinstall the hubcentric rings we had... For 2 weeks, the lug nuts became loose "on their own." Popping off 4 lugs within 2 weeks.

We did not think it had to do with the missing hubcentric rings, until a wheel flew off... Breaking all 5 lugs, Fing up a wheel that cost me $170 to replace, and another $35 for the "warranty" on the replacement tire.

Luckily, it was a rear wheel at about 45 MPH and it did not damage another car/person. Damaged the heck out of the inside fender. Took me an hour to lift the car and replace the lugs/wheel on the side of the road.

The guys at the tire store gave me the same BS about the lugs centering things, blah, blah, blah.... Not true. Use the rings whenever possible with aftermarket wheels. They are less than $10 a set from Ebay (shipped) and the nylon ones work just fine. Why chance the same type of damage or potential damage, when you can have cheap insurance & peace of mind?

I’m not saying shit does not happen, am just stating facts, fact is hub rings are designed to distribute the load evenly to the lug nuts, am sure that wheel came off because it was not torque to spec, I’m a automotive technician have been one for many years and have never seen a wheel come off that was tightened correctly, install a hub ring if you can get one but don’t let if stop you from installing your wheels chance of them falling off when torque to spec, well that’s unlikely.

"Distribute the load evenly by being certain the wheel is centered."

don't take what i'm saying the wrong way.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^I'm not taking ity personally.... Thing is, there are 2 schools of thought. One, where the lugs do the job and all should be good. I agree, it should work that way.

Two, the lugs don't "totally" do the trick and wheel's up/down vibration hoses up the nuts/studs/balancing, etc.

I've done the homework, somewhat debated with the 2 schools of people, etc... Bottom line is that once the rings were back on, we have not even had a lug nut come loose.

For $10, just do it. Measure the difference between the hub and the wheel and just adequately fill the space. The wheel was made for a 73mm hub. It was about 10mm of space that the lug nuts were supposed to equally space. I don't think the lug nuts totatally did the job.

Now that the space is filled with a ring (metal one that the tire place provided), none of the symptoms are there anymore. Same type of lug nuts.

Maybe it's the lug nuts used, maybe it's coincidence... It does not matter. I am not worried about it anymore and can now focus on fxing the damaged fender/wheelwell on the wife's 94. Had they not provided the rings, I would've ordered more... even if it was just for my peace of mind.

FYI, we've had aftermarket wheels on most of our cars and I always make sure that the proper torque is used. No wheels have flown off of any of our other cars, or mysterious loose lug nuts, or broken studs.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
projectsupra;1463689 said:
Almost everyone has made three spokes, WORK, VOLK, Advan, etc. Just depends what style, size, and weight you want.

p1463696_1.jpg

These racing harts made by work are for sale

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
airhead04;1464066 said:
Is it possible to put a 10 inch wide wheel on the rear of the supra with only rolling the fenders?

or will i have to do other mods.

Depends on the offset. Offset should be in the mid 30s, if you don't want any other modification, other than rolling.