Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
Just wondering if it is true that Wheel adapters are weak and shouldnt be trusted at higher speeds and cornering forces?

reason being is same as above, i have the opportunity to get a set of 5 rims with decent rubber for cheap...18x8.5 40mm offset rear 30mm front, running h&r springs...

so question 1) should i avoid adapters like the plague?
and number 2) would that setup work, or would i be rubbing all over the place?

thanks for the help guys

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Warpath;1198539 said:
Would 18x9.5 w/+38 offset allround work? Lowered on h&r springs, what tire size would work?

Thanks,
Jim

SUPERIUM;1198557 said:
Rears yes, fronts no they are too wide especially for 18s and riding on h&rs. I would get 8s or 8.5s for the front if available and run a 235 or 245/35 tire up front and a 275/35 in the rear.

18x9.5 w/+38 will work in the front. With 275s. A-to-the-J did it. If you want to ride really low in the front, you'll just have to roll your fender.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66028

p1198799_1.jpg

p1198799_2.jpg

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
rodel;1198799 said:
18x9.5 w/+38 will work in the front. With 275s. A-to-the-J did it. If you want to ride really low in the front, you'll just have to roll your fender.

Just looking at the pics he's definitely not on h&r's, more like eibachs to me. Theres like a 1-1 1/2" difference between those 2 springs. Not everyone wants to roll their fenders and deal with rubbing issues and uneven tire wear. Some people like myself like to drive the crap out of their cars without sacrificing performance over looks so Im not going to reccommend something that Im unsure of.

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
SUPERIUM;1199155 said:
Just looking at the pics he's definitely not on h&r's, more like eibachs to me. Theres like a 1-1 1/2" difference between those 2 springs. Not everyone wants to roll their fenders and deal with rubbing issues and uneven tire wear. Some people like myself like to drive the crap out of their cars without sacrificing performance over looks so Im not going to reccommend something that Im unsure of.

Thank you both for the information, I appreciate both your help on this. Here are the wheels i was looking @:

grid_gold_1895_2.jpg

They make 8.5's +38 but there not concave like this.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
SUPERIUM;1199155 said:

This is where wheel fitment gets crazy. It is all up to what the person what to do. Which is why every time someone ask for some help I have to ask their goals and suspension set up.

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
well on that note, I am one of the "drifters" so to speek and i want a flush fitment with my N/A MKIV's....
I Rolled my fenders allready and just ordered some 1.5 spacers all arround...
Are they going to be flushed or close to it???

I am running the Megan racing coilovers!!!

Thanks Guy's!!!!

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
mischief7m;1198797 said:
Just wondering if it is true that Wheel adapters are weak and shouldnt be trusted at higher speeds and cornering forces?

reason being is same as above, i have the opportunity to get a set of 5 rims with decent rubber for cheap...18x8.5 40mm offset rear 30mm front, running h&r springs...

so question 1) should i avoid adapters like the plague?
and number 2) would that setup work, or would i be rubbing all over the place?

thanks for the help guys

Anybody??? I gotta know whether or not to put a down payment on them.

Thanks guys

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
mischief7m;1199784 said:
Anybody??? I gotta know whether or not to put a down payment on them.

Thanks guys

The offsets dont seem that bad where you would really need adapters. Its not going to look super aggressive but they are not going to look way tucked in compared to stockers. At best I would just buy 10mm spacers fi you dont like how they look.
Only issues I heard about adapters is if they are not hubcentric its a pain in the ass to center the rim/adapter properly which results in shakeness/vibrations and a few places I talked to dont reccommend running anything lower than 30-35mm's.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
It won't be too bad. It is just that because H&R lower so much that it will make it seem kind of sunk in. If you want you can run a spacer but that is all up to you. I am just letting you know what stance you should be expecting.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
Awesome thanks for all the help guys. And the reason behind the addapters is they are bimmer specific (only made in 5x120) I was just afraid that the offset on top of the 1inch spacer created by the adapter would be too much.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
WAIT!!!! it is a 30 offset with out the spacers?? If so it will stick out and not fit to well. with the spacer the offset will turn to about a +0 or lower.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
BorHor;1200291 said:
WAIT!!!! it is a 30 offset with out the spacers?? If so it will stick out and not fit to well. with the spacer the offset will turn to about a +0 or lower.

sorry, your going to have to excuse my lack of wheel knowledge.

the front rims im looking at are 30mm offset, the rears are 40mm offset.

but the hub adapters are about 1" thick. so i was thinking they would probably stick out way too far...unless i have a wrong understanding of how adapters work.

i am under the impression that they would cause the wheel to stick out an inch further.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Yeah they'd be flush. Look at BorHor's old posts and find his old car with n/a mkiv's and i think 25mm(~1inch) spacers. It looks gooood. Yours will look betttter.

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
Heyooooo!!

Would 18x8.5's w/+15 offset work in the front with 235/40 tires?
I am lowered on H&R springs.

Thanks for all your help, this fourm has been great!!!
Jim