Wheel Alighnment always off slightly

hockysa

Hey Guys and Girls,

Ever since I bought my car it has always been slightly off centre. Or sometimes it would be centre but still have the sllightest pull to the left usually.

The guy that does my wheel alignment showed me one day that one of the wheels sits slightly further front but approximately 1cm.

I've changed the front subframe, I thought that would have helped but I thought wrong.

So

Where do I go to fix this

or

How can I fix it?

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Having the front end alignment to pull very slightly over towards the left is normal in Aus, means that your car will tend away from oncoming traffic if you let go of the steering... (Or if something fails also!)

If you have changed your front crossmember, then it must mean that the damage in the front end is contained within control arms, ball joints, stub axles, etc.

Did your wheel alignment shop give you any ideas what may be damaged?
Have you replaced any of the above mentioned suspension parts?

HTH

hockysa

gats;1397044 said:
Having the front end alignment to pull very slightly over towards the left is normal in Aus, means that your car will tend away from oncoming traffic if you let go of the steering... (Or if something fails also!)

If you have changed your front crossmember, then it must mean that the damage in the front end is contained within control arms, ball joints, stub axles, etc.

Did your wheel alignment shop give you any ideas what may be damaged?
Have you replaced any of the above mentioned suspension parts?

HTH

Wheel alignment shop didn't say

I'll look into changing the other parts i guess, thanks for that

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
So you already ruled out the most expensive part, the subframe. Cool. Using my remedy for a car pulling to either direction is after so many donuts in one direction, stop, and proceed to swing it the other way for even wear.

So it's pitched a cm out eh, time to look over every part and see what needs replacing?

hockysa

Mk3runner;1397984 said:
So you already ruled out the most expensive part, the subframe. Cool. Using my remedy for a car pulling to either direction is after so many donuts in one direction, stop, and proceed to swing it the other way for even wear.

So it's pitched a cm out eh, time to look over every part and see what needs replacing?

so should I source these parts from toyota? or is there better or equivalent aftermarket parts?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Toyota specs: + or - .003
IJ spepcs: If it isn't perfect, I'm killing you and burying you in the swamp.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I'd go aftermarket, so far what aftermarket thats oe rated that I have on my car work very well.

but you still gotta determine what to replace, or say to hell with it and replace everything with the excuse thats its old anyways.

mk2-1jz

Official Member
Feb 5, 2008
Montreal
tell them to properly adjust your caster rods to bring the caster equal on both wheels. should solve your problem.

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
I would have it put on a frame machine and have them check to see if the body is twisted. If the vehicle in question has been in any type of accident it is possible that the unibody structure can be tweaked and cause a pull no matter how you set the alignment.

Also, I would, as someone else has already mentioned on here, have them adjust front camber. The adjustment is on the front lower control arm. There are two eccentric cams on there and you have to adjust both to get camber and caster to adjust to be perfect. Many times all three angles have to be adjusted (I know this is going to sound weird) simultaneously in order to achieve this. I know to some this will boggle your mind, but it is true; EVERY adjustment on some vehicles can affect the settings of the other adjustments. I'm not trying to start an argument but if you are intrigued I am more than happy to explain further.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
hockysa;1396841 said:
Hey Guys and Girls,

Ever since I bought my car it has always been slightly off centre. Or sometimes it would be centre but still have the sllightest pull to the left usually.

The guy that does my wheel alignment showed me one day that one of the wheels sits slightly further front but approximately 1cm.

I've changed the front subframe, I thought that would have helped but I thought wrong.

So

or

How can I fix it?

I'm curious to know how you figured out one wheel sits further forward by the small amount of 1cm.

Furthermore...if one wheel is located further forward, that most likely means that your caster is out of spec which is one of the primary causes of a "pull" in the steering

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
hockysa;1396841 said:
Hey Guys and Girls,

So

or

How can I fix it?

IJ.;1405443 said:
Wont work there mine are for RHD.

not to start shit with you once again...

but where the fuck did you hear that alignment is different for RHD versus LHD?

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
shit. my car pulls hard to the left. the previous owner hit a rock in the road leaving a chunk out of the lip for the tire. does this mean an arm or something else could be fucked?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Probably the lower control arm is bent, as that it's the arm that takes a majority of the abuse and would probably fail first.