Whats YOUR special trick for getting into reverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Clutch in, 1st gear, neutral, clutch out, clutch in, fourth, neutral, reverse.

I have tried many that work "most of the time" but this one seems to work every time I try. R154's ftw.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
I just push the clutch in and move the shifter to reverse. Works every time unless the clutch is stuck. :nuts:

The only thing you are doing that should make any difference is turning the input shaft. All of those steps are a waste as they are just being erased by the last neutral/clutch out step since it's spinning the input shaft.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
lol...

no... i dont row gears rapidly and hope that Reverse isnt "looking" so i can slip it in.

i put it in reverse, hold it against the resistance and slowly let up on the clutch untill i hit the friction point. it bumps the gearsets and reverse meshes up and the shifter slides right in. i pause at that point till its all the way in, then i can either clutch it again if i have to wait or i can continue to let up to start reversing. ive been doin it for years like this. if youre too quick on the pedal, you will grind reverse. you gotta be good at it

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Reverse has no synchros iirc, so to correctly put it in reverse you need to first put it in one of the forward gears.

I push in the clutch, go 1st, then reverse. If it doesn't go in, release the clutch and press it in again, go 1st and reverse again OR sometimes 1st-3rd-reverse works for me too.

I'll have to try that Gotturbos, thx for the tip

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
AGlobalThreat said:
Reverse has no synchros iirc, so to correctly put it in reverse you need to first put it in one of the forward gears.

I push in the clutch, go 1st, then reverse. If it doesn't go in, release the clutch and press it in again, go 1st and reverse again OR sometimes 1st-3rd-reverse works for me too.

I'll have to try that Gotturbos, thx for the tip

Try letting the clutch out (engage) in neutral, then clutch in (disengage), then reverse. Then grab the TSRM and study the manual transmission to understand what is really happening. Sometimes hitting one of the other gears will turn the input shaft enough to align the reverse cogs but so will letting the engine spin it in neutral. Sheesh, you guys over complicate things.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
BFR is also right.

in neutral, the gearset spins. if you clutch it and go for reverse immediately, you WILL get in with a slight ker-chunk noise, kinda like an F250 with a Top-loader or a Chevelle with a Muncie M22.

and no, reverse has no synchros... thats why it can grind if you go for it aggressivly.

you guys really dont need to do your ritualistic clutch in, 1st gear, 3rd gear, 5th gear, neutral, clutch out, clutch in, 2nd, 4th and then reverse, holding a rosary upside down while reciting the cyruillic alphabet backwards... do it my way or how BFR said. :)

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Lol, I've had three Supra's and have never had a problem putting in reverse. Seems like prayer might be more effective than what some of you are doing.:sarcasm:

Watch me not be able to get it in reverse now....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
RTFM

It says right in the owner's manual...

"If it is difficult to shift into reverse, put the transmission in neutral, release the clutch pedal momentarily, and then try again."

Keep in mind, the proper lube in the tranny makes a hell of a difference as well...

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Just think of the anti-theft possibilities if one could "program" forward and reverse in such a way. LOL!

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Clutch in, into reverse. works right 90 % of the time.

Otherwise:
Clutch in, doesn't go. Put in neutral, release clutch. Clutch in, try again.

Works like a charm every time. Just the occasional *CRUNCH* that can be embarrassing.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
well, now that I think about it, all toyota trannies seem to be like this (my truck wasn't an R series...)

get used to it and don't bitch, it comes with having a durable tranny...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Sometimes I have to put it in 1st and just let the clutch half way, just enought to bump the car a little forward, then it will go into reverse. Only happens maybe 5-10% of the time.

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
flubyux2 said:
lol...

no... i dont row gears rapidly and hope that Reverse isnt "looking" so i can slip it in.

i put it in reverse, hold it against the resistance and slowly let up on the clutch untill i hit the friction point. it bumps the gearsets and reverse meshes up and the shifter slides right in. i pause at that point till its all the way in, then i can either clutch it again if i have to wait or i can continue to let up to start reversing. ive been doin it for years like this. if youre too quick on the pedal, you will grind reverse. you gotta be good at it

ME TO!

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
its habit of mine that i normally put it 4th then reverse ...... but i normally just clutch and slip it into reverse without an issue

i normally go from reverse to 2nd then to 1st

again its just habit

Status
Not open for further replies.