Whats the most number of hours you ever worked in a week?

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
I'm a float nurse at a small hospital, and I pull more hours than anyone else here. I was wondering how many hours you guys pull.

While I am taking classes, I generally pull regular time (36 hours), occasionally getting an extra 8-12 hours.

This summer, however, I only have class in July, so May and June are for overtime. Last week I worked 75 hours. Last summer, my heaviest week was 84 hours.

This summer, I plan on beating that. Applying math to our hospital policy, my theoretical maximum hours in a week is 112 (16hours*7days) (I can only exceed 16 out of 24 hours in disaster or specific approval from the higher ups).

Who's with me!?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Probably 50 if I had to guess. It's hard to do construction work in this Alabama humidity and work longer than eight hours a day and since God rested on Sundays, I choose to do the same.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Longest haul ever was 15 hours a day for 3 weeks straight. Had a dead line to hit for a customers daughters graduation party. Nothing like pouring concrete at 11PM!

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
A couple of weeks ago I broke my personal record and worked 46.5 hours (in 5 days). I know, nothing. One of our dishwasher's work schedule is a bit more interesting: he has two jobs, and works at least one shift a day. His last day off was over 2.5 years ago.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Mr Bojangles;1842868 said:
When I was in the military we worked 7 straight 18 hour days doing flight operations in the bearing sea. I guess thats 126 hours.

And that only part of it. You do your 18 hour day getting a few minute breather hear and there to RUN down to the galley and scarf down as many calories as you can as fast as you can because you burn them off quick. So that you can get your ass back up to the flight deck to let the next guy run down. You have to maintain focus for the full 18 hours or risk getting run down by a bird. And if you're in the North Arabian Gulf doing this, 140 degree deck temp and a 30 knot head wind is considered a good day.

Then once the work is done you walk to your rack for a few hours of sleep and then get up and do it again. Day in day out, it turns into a routine. Days into weeks, weeks into months. And sometimes you don't see a port for several months at a time. And you don't return home where you can relax in a culture that is familiar for half a year or more. And it's usually more.

It all adds up to a lot.

When I was in we were usually limited to 16 hour days, more than that and people started making stupid mistakes from fatigue, but there was the occasional 18 hour day.

It really gives you a new perspective once you get out into civilian life and they offer you more pay for something called overtime, acting like its some big hassle to put in more than 8 hours a day five days a week.

*And the Europeans think Americans are workaholics.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
101/paid but that includes 8 hours holiday pay so actual work 93..

carried the timecard for a short while, just for the non-believers...

spinyard

always lurking..
Nov 1, 2009
Ottawa
164 in a two week period. Last two weeks before Christmas holidays. Brutal on the body, but then I had three weeks off to recover.
People in the neighborhood were not to impressed. Imagine a bunch of sleep deprived assholes building a house next to yours at ten at night with chainsaws and a gas compressor and generator (for the lights) going full bore. Everything lit up like a stadium.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Longest week I've ever pulled was the week that we changed the entire layout of the Blockbuster I worked at back in like 2002, 2003, somewhere back then. Pulled many a double shift that week, since I was the only one willing to do it. Longest day of that week was open (9am IIRC) until close (midnight-1am depending on the day), and we stayed all through the night moving shit around. I left the next day around 1 or 2pm, was nearly a 30 hour shift.

Long story short, considering the hourly wage, getting 100-110 hours in one week wasn't too shabby. Would I do it again? Not likely.

I feel for you guys out on the boats, that takes a special kind of endurance to not go out of your mind out there...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Worked 60/week one summer with two jobs.

Now I work ~45 or so every week. Id be fine with more doing something I liked or something that really pays. With no reward for extra work on a completely exempt salary position I'll stick to 45 hours.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1843751 said:
Now I work ~45 or so every week. Id be fine with more doing something I liked or something that really pays. With no reward for extra work on a completely exempt salary position I'll stick to 45 hours.
Same here man. If I had a job I truly loved doing (my job isn't bad, but it's not a hobby either), I'd probably put in 60ish a week.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
When I worked in a steel mill I would routinely put in 80+ hour weeks and would usually work 21 days at 12 hours per day in a row before getting a day off. During a four day downturn I put in 16 hours per day for 4 days which ended up being 100hrs for the week. That job was brutal and the 16 hour days were killers. I would get to work before the sun was up and then just wait for the sun to set because I knew I would be able to go home soon. I hated that job. I made 50% more in pay in overtime that year, none of it was worth it.

I feel for you guys that don't get OT. I know when my brother was deployed in Iraq he regularly put in 16 hour days and rarely got a day off.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Most I've ever done was 87hrs in a six day period. Normal for me is 40hrs for a standard five day work week. Though, last week I punched out with 60. The taxes are fucking ridiculous. :(