What's the easiest way to identify a Turbo MKIII?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
superiorsupra said:
I have three mk3 turbos, one 87 and two 89, and they all have the ma71 vin number. My old 86.5 n/a had a ma70 vin number. Best way to tell is the intercooler in front.

unless someone decides to hot pipe it...which is feasible for about 7-8psi...

ive seen a couple like that ;)

T

toyota_supra_1988

best bet, check under the hood, if you can see the turbo then its a turbo, or just listen for it

wulfstan

4EVRJAM
Apr 2, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Intercooler definetly, but if the owner doesn't allow you to look well, don't buy it.

You are the buyer, take charge, walk away.

Oh, you're just asking about visual. Well, pop the hood. Be ready for whatever pops out. G'luck

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Let me try to make this like oldschool SM:

Lets suppose you cant talk to the owner or just see one. Rather than asking and quite possibly getting a lie, you could quickly

[] Find the "2nd radiator". Also, the oil cooler should be next to it.
[] I have seen a MA70 VIN with a stock turbo, it was an 89, had the boost gauge, turbo badge on the back, 89 spoiler, blah blah blah. However, they are quite rare, so chances are that if it has a "JT2MA70" VIN then it is N/A and "JT2MA71" it is turbo.
[] Pre89's have a "turbo" badge (with the same text that is on the 24 valve intercooler turbo badge under the hood) on the driver side rear next to the tailight. However plenty (including myself) no longer have this badge.
[] Look at the exhaust under the car. N/A's had two pipes coming out of the exhaust manifold, mating into a thick cover plate thing, bending at the bottom to a single pipe paralell to the ground. Turbo exhausts (stock) have only 1 pipe from the turbo back. You can also tell the tranny type from this thing, but I dont have the pic with me now to show the difference.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I have seen a MA70 VIN with a stock turbo, it was an 89, had the boost gauge, turbo badge on the back, 89 spoiler, blah blah blah. However, they are quite rare, so chances are that if it has a "JT2MA70" VIN then it is N/A and "JT2MA71" it is turbo.
Wasn't a factory turbo then, or the VIN was swapped. ALL Turbo VIN's have JT2MA71.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Well, if it is stock,
You can also weigh it, I am sure that a turbo would weigh more.
or
Take it to the dyno.

Easy as that.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Jeff I have an MA71 Chassis code.
I SWEAR!
If the car was at my house I'd get a pic. Someday I will prove you wrong.
;)

J

JerzeySlowpra

a turbo version of any car always looks alot more aggresive for 1 and im pretty sure all turbo vin numbers had "ma71" in it oppose to the "ma70" n/a vins

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
JerzeySlowpra said:
a turbo version of any car always looks alot more aggresive for 1 and im pretty sure all turbo vin numbers had "ma71" in it oppose to the "ma70" n/a vins

While I think this is true as well, I have heard of a few instances where someone with an MA70 vin has had a turbo version without a swap being known of.

sammydafish

Boost Addict
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, NY
www.trdsupra.com
Supracentral said:
You can't even use the MA70 vs MA71 in the vin since, although Toyota originally planned to use all the MA70 chassis as NA's and all the MA71's as turbos, the unexpected demand for turbo cars caused them to just mix and match chassis & engine combo's as needed.

this isn't correct. The use of NA chasis for turbo cars did happen, but the VIN of a turbo car will always be MA71. If you look on the firewall of some turbo cars with an MA71 VIN, the firewall chasis stamp might say MA70. This means the factory used a chasis originaly destined to be an NA as a turbo car. Since the chasis are identical save for the stamp, it's no big deal.

If you're checking for VIN swaps and engine swaps, an original turbo car will have MA71 in the vin and on the vin plate and on the EPA sticker.

Every option that a turbo car had, an NA could have if ordered. The only turbo specific items are the engine and tranny, engine management, rear ratios and the supra monitors are different on cars that were so equiped. Every other option is identical on Turbos or NAs.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
If you look on the firewall of some turbo cars with an MA71 VIN, the firewall chasis stamp might say MA70

Correction:

If you look on the firewall of all turbo cars with an MA71 VIN, the firewall chasis stamp will say MA70.

Toyota starts all Chassis codes from 000000. If there were any with MA71 chassis codes, (which some people apparently have seen at some point, but nobody can ever prove, :p), the chassis codes would be so low, lol.

Toyota ALWAYS does this, I don't know why all the Supra guys don't want to accept it, but the chassis code rarely matches up with the VIN "code". My Corolla has AE86 stamped on the firewall, but has AE88 in the VIN, because it's a GT-S model. It still has the AE86 chassis. The Supra turbo has MA71 in the VIN, but it's still an MA70 chassis.

Someone prove me wrong, lol. Someone post up a pic of a car with an MA71 chassis code on the firewall, or even a chart with MA71 chassis codes relating to production months, like exist for the MA70, JZA70, and GA70...