What's the Difference?

MkIIIDK

Nucking Foob
Jan 20, 2010
Lake Zurich, IL
On Tiger Japanese's website, it shows a 2JZ GTE VVTI and a 2JZ GTE. This may be a stupid question, But which is the superior engine and why?

I would think that if they make the same numbers at the same point, And have the same durability, i would go with the cheaper engine? I'm confused.

Somebody help me out please.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
^^^ lol... the internals are different from what i've read, the non-vvti holds more power... up to the 900s and the vvti motors hold about 400... the motors are alittle different from one another

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
hey i heard a lot of bad things from that company i woudnt order anything from them..try and find a us importer so if they do screw you you will be able t o ge t your money back

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MkIIIDK;1502459 said:
Thanks for pointing that out. I woulda been walking into a TRAP.

Drop_the_Soap-Its_a_trap.jpg

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
86_sports_1jz;1502354 said:
^^^ lol... the internals are different from what i've read, the non-vvti holds more power... up to the 900s and the vvti motors hold about 400... the motors are alittle different from one another

This is wrong, A GTE vvti bottom end is just as strong as the non-vvti. It is true the GE VVTi bottom ends are weak though.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Indeed. The VVT-i shortblock is identical to the non-VVT-i.

Only the N/A 2JZ-GE got changed when VVT-i was added, and only the connecting rods were made lighter.

Jeff

Project-X

Jan 4, 2008
Toronto
Yeah I would have to agree with these guys never order any parts online from these guys. I personally bought my Mk3 Jza70 from them which is perfectly in running condition but they are a bunch of weasles and will try and squeeze every dime out of you by selling you broken parts or worn out parts so be very cautious if your purchasing from them. On the other hand if you can go there and see what your getting they do have some good things to offer but so does other importers and parts distributers.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
tissimo;1504280 said:
This is wrong, A GTE vvti bottom end is just as strong as the non-vvti. It is true the GE VVTi bottom ends are weak though.

Jeff Lange;1504294 said:
Indeed. The VVT-i shortblock is identical to the non-VVT-i.

Only the N/A 2JZ-GE got changed when VVT-i was added, and only the connecting rods were made lighter.

Jeff

alright thanks for the correction, now i know the true facts

MkIIIDK

Nucking Foob
Jan 20, 2010
Lake Zurich, IL
Project-X;1504335 said:
Yeah I would have to agree with these guys never order any parts online from these guys. I personally bought my Mk3 Jza70 from them which is perfectly in running condition but they are a bunch of weasles and will try and squeeze every dime out of you by selling you broken parts or worn out parts so be very cautious if your purchasing from them. On the other hand if you can go there and see what your getting they do have some good things to offer but so does other importers and parts distributers.

I will steer very clear. I'll prolly go with JDMenginedepot.com- they have what i'm looking for at almost the same price.