whats the deal with mkiv 550's

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
I remember reading an old thread, about 550's actually flowing about 440cc. is that true for all of them? is there no point going from 440cc to the 550's?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Boostage;1249904 said:
I remember reading an old thread, about 550's actually flowing about 440cc. is that true for all of them? is there no point going from 440cc to the 550's?

The purple top USDM "550's" I bought were cleaned and flowed during my 1J swap. They flowed only 450cc. Until I see factual data, I believe it to be a myth.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
As per Toyota, flow rate should be between 496cc/min and 576cc/min, so that makes them ~540cc.

If you're below 496cc/min, the injectors are no longer good.

From what I've read, a lot of USDM GTE injectors are testing lower, all that means is that a lot of injectors out there are not working properly, as far as I'm concerned.

Jeff

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
tissimo;1250693 said:
Test was performed wrong, or sheet was mixed up. They're not 450s.

I guess that's possible, but from what I recall, Jose and Aaron had them flowed twice so...... Maybe one of them will chime in.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Jeff Lange;1250049 said:
As per Toyota, flow rate should be between 496cc/min and 576cc/min, so that makes them ~540cc.

If you're below 496cc/min, the injectors are no longer good.

From what I've read, a lot of USDM GTE injectors are testing lower, all that means is that a lot of injectors out there are not working properly, as far as I'm concerned.

Jeff

ive read all the speculation and what not, and i would take this mans word over most other peoples!

you should be having your injectors cleaned and flow tested anyhow, so if they dont flow what you need them to flow why are you using them?

we all should know by now that getting used parts is usually some what of a crap shoot. i picked up a set of mkiv 550s and will send them out to get cleaned and flow tested, if they test low then i guess im out of luck!

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Has any one actually flowed a set of USDM injectors and have them come back within the specs that Jeff listed? We've had similar discussions before, and to the best of my recollection, no one has documented 550's. I'm not doubting Jeff, but Toyota has been known to make mistakes before......

And Lagged, I ended up putting in grey top JDM 440's that were cleaned and flowed, they were within specs.....

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I'm only stating what Toyota says they should be. Unless you order a brand new one from Toyota, and have it flow tested, any other injector you flow test is suspect.

All I'm saying is that if we had a 2JZ here at work and they tested as low as some peoples do, we'd be replacing them.

Jeff

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
rakkasan;1250918 said:
Has any one actually flowed a set of USDM injectors and have them come back within the specs that Jeff listed? We've had similar discussions before, and to the best of my recollection, no one has documented 550's. I'm not doubting Jeff, but Toyota has been known to make mistakes before......

And Lagged, I ended up putting in grey top JDM 440's that were cleaned and flowed, they were within specs.....

What did the 440s flow on the sheet? did you have to mess with the fuel any? I would assume if you didn't you had a bad set of injectors. When I've upgraded from 440s on a couple cars I've always had to pull more fuel.

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
It's a big myth that USDM 2JZGTE injectors only flow 440cc. I bought these off a guy on Supraforums for <$100, purple top 550cc injectors. After all the talk I've read about how they don't flow 550, I was pretty worried that I'd have to sink even more $$ into new injectors, so instead I sent them to Witch Hunter to get cleaned/tested/flowed. The results...they aren't 550's...they're 540's. Here's the proof and I'm glad I sent them off as one of them was pretty much clogged completely:

p1263029_1.jpg

Last edited:

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
impedance, ahahahahhahaha

not necessarily that they're better, but those high impedance ones flow more than the low impedance 440's. low impedance injectors open/close faster, but don't last as long as high impedance which have a slightly slower response time as they require less amperage to operate

or so i've read

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
Sent mine off to Witch Hunter last week Tuesday, got a Paypal invoice on Friday, paid for it and got them back yesterday. I was very surpised that two injectors actually were essentially bad. Now they're all nice and pretty...practically new again and I know exactly what they flow.