Whats the best way to go 1.5JZ

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
I'm thinking about putting a 2JZ-GTE block under my 1JZ head. I would it be easier to use the 2JZ-GTE block ? I understand some welding is involved but if i use the 2JZ-GTE block does it become a striaght swap? like a bolt on deal.

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
I keep seeing threads that mention it. Well ok. so the only things ima need is a modded water neck gte block with internals and a timing case 2j bell houseing. the parts from the 1JZ will swap over like the oil pan stuff

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You can get the longer waterneck tube on here. Look in the jz parts for sale section.

No welding to do unless you have to modify your downpipe. There are a few threads in the jz section that covers this. Good luck.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
suprahero;1289726 said:
You can get the longer waterneck tube on here. Look in the jz parts for sale section.

No welding to do unless you have to modify your downpipe. There are a few threads in the jz section that covers this. Good luck.

You might also need to modify your IC piping, to accommodate for the taller deck height.

ryangaudoin

Dec 10, 2008
Toronto
wouldn't this be easy, just the 2j bottom end with everything attached the bottom end needs and just get the 6spd tranny

and for the top end everything can be used from the 1j like the twins or the single if already done, cause im actually thinking of doing this and what about the ecu can the 1j ecu still be used and i think it needs to be tuned cause of a higher placement??

and with this 1.5jz isn't it like 500cc more which makes 3.5 1.jz

if i were to do this i'd probably buy a whole 2j 6spd and just use what i need and sell what i dont need

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
ryangaudoin;1290059 said:
wouldn't this be easy, just the 2j bottom end with everything attached the bottom end needs and just get the 6spd tranny

and for the top end everything can be used from the 1j like the twins or the single if already done, cause im actually thinking of doing this and what about the ecu can the 1j ecu still be used and i think it needs to be tuned cause of a higher placement??

and with this 1.5jz isn't it like 500cc more which makes 3.5 1.jz

if i were to do this i'd probably buy a whole 2j 6spd and just use what i need and sell what i dont need

its 500cc more than 1jz 2.5, so you end up with 3L

ryangaudoin

Dec 10, 2008
Toronto
then i really see no point in a 1.5jz if it just come up to the same a the 2j, i really dont know anything about what the difference is in a 1.5jz, someone tell me the point?

if there is no difference then shouldn't ppl just go 2j, which is the same, and maybe yea it would be more expensive to just go 2j all the way what is with the 1.5jz

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
ryangaudoin;1290220 said:
then i really see no point in a 1.5jz if it just come up to the same a the 2j, i really dont know anything about what the difference is in a 1.5jz, someone tell me the point?

if there is no difference then shouldn't ppl just go 2j, which is the same, and maybe yea it would be more expensive to just go 2j all the way what is with the 1.5jz

Seriously man just search and read before you post.

RockPaperSwoRD

Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
usually 1.5jz is for people who already did a 1jz swap and..
A) have a big single on their 1j head and want more displacement(1j and 2j use different manifolds
B) blew up their bottom end
C) blew up their bottom end and might as well get a 2j with more displacement

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
RockPaperSwoRD;1290373 said:
usually 1.5jz is for people who already did a 1jz swap and..
A) have a big single on their 1j head and want more displacement(1j and 2j use different manifolds
B) blew up their bottom end
C) blew up their bottom end and might as well get a 2j with more displacement

D.) No messing with splicing a 2J wiring harness
E.) All of the above *ME*

Seriously, do a little research.

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
I've done some research I havent seen much on using a 2JZ-GTE donor block. Mainly the GE is what people use and I dont wanna tap the oil feed. I was more looking for a list. Just trying to avoid supprises. if i deside to go 2JZ-GTE COMPLETELY want about the tranny is different. can I use the R-154 and the W58 bell housing the is for the 2JZ-GE

RockPaperSwoRD

Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
if youre going to use a r154 with a jz engine you need the 1jz bellhousing(it fits on a 2jz also) runs about $350 shipped from the dealer

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Deeznuts;1290686 said:
I've done some research I havent seen much on using a 2JZ-GTE donor block. Mainly the GE is what people use and I dont wanna tap the oil feed. I was more looking for a list. Just trying to avoid supprises. if i deside to go 2JZ-GTE COMPLETELY want about the tranny is different. can I use the R-154 and the W58 bell housing the is for the 2JZ-GE

Sorry, my comment was intended for the original poster, not you.

I'm in the middle of a swap now, using a GE block. The GTE block doesn't require a thicker head gasket (you can use stock), but the GE will require one due to the piston CC's. I'm using a 2mm HKS, which should yeild 8.8:1 C/R. Also, with a GE, you have to get oil from eith a oil filter sandwich plate or an IS300 union bolt.

Here is a link to my build thread, I try to take pictures of everything as I go. If I have the time, I'll go back and add some notes.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86222