whats o good daily driver

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
dude, you want to race and beat that mustang gt, get the owners number and call him when you have the supra out.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Here's your list...This lists the 1999 GT as a 5.5 0-60 time (1999 was the first year of the body style you're thinking of for the Mustang). Just find something that's faster than 5.5 seconds here and you're good to go! :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I think i have your best option yet.... Mitsubishi 300GT VR-4. 0-60 is appearantly 5.2-5.8s. thats really fuckin fast and thats just stock. chip it and turn up the boost.... well you get it.:naughty:

I just did a quick craigslist search for denver and found 4 for under 6000 that are supposedly running well.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
^^haha. agreed.^^ Its kinda cool just cuz its a somewhat rare find, but I'd take the N/A supra over it any day.

Seriously though, I'm not at all convinced you can get a RELIABLE car for under 5 grand that can beat a 0-60 time of 5.5. I'd like to be proven wrong but I just cant see it.

If it was possible to have a 5.5s 0-60 on a reliable car for under 5 grand, I think people would be lining up to buy it. I know I would.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
A VR-4 would be faster, but would also be inherently more complex with it's all wheel drive and twin turbo design...therefore it seems like a VR-4 could be just as bad--if not worse--reliability-wise than a 7MGTE MKIII.

You could always fight fire with fire...find an old Fox-body Mustang (79-93) for cheap and do a few bolt-ons. Not exactly the pinnacle of reliability or efficiency, but they're cheap. Plus you'd be getting the 5.0 in a lightweight shell-2775lbs if you can find a nice 5.0 LX coupe. I fear you may feel an insatiable urge to grow a mullet if you went this route, though.

Plus as everyone knows, pushrods are FTL :icon_bigg

Seriously though, I'm on the search for a good daily driver as well. I've narrowed it down to a few contenders:

1. Jetta TDI - No, it won't beat a Mustang GT...unless you're looking at MPG numbers. How does 45-50 mpg sound? From a modded diesel? With a chip, new injectors and a few intake mods, you could romp on some unsuspecting Honda owners...Plus if you go w/ the older (99-04) style they're pretty cheap.

2. Lexus IS300 - This is what I really want. 2JZ-GE, RWD, 4 doors. All the Lexus bells and whistles, plus Toyota reliability. I'm hoping in a few years the cost of going GE-T comes down some more--right now it seems to be hanging around $6000-7500 to do it right on these cars--but that's an option too once financial situations improve. Plus they're getting cheap - you can find them for under 15k if you look.

3. Subaru WRX - The beauty of all wheel drive...and all the weight, complexity and other penalties that come along with it. They're getting cheaper though, and stock or with mild bolt-ons they're still pretty reliable, as long as you don't abuse the transmission. Also getting cheaper--you can find bugeyes for $10-15k with mods now.

HTH, not sure of your price range--if you're looking at sub-$10k, performance AND reliability isn't really that viable. If it was, like suprarx7nut was saying, we'd all have cheap dd's that were faster than Mustang GTs...

Last edited: