whats do i need to turbo a 7mge

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
with a t-67 garret or ct26 .could i get some suggestions.

and a parts list that i will need?? from a bone stock 7mge:1zhelp:

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
beachsupra;1014478 said:
with a t-67 garret or ct26 .could i get some suggestions.

and a parts list that i will need?? from a bone stock 7mge:1zhelp:

You certainly picked two extremes on the spectrum. There is a lot of info on both the NA/T and GTE swaps into N/A chassis.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Step 1: Remove 7M-GE sticker from cam cover
Step 2: Insert 7M-GTE sticker on cam cover
Step 3: Place Turbo badge on rear of car
Step 4: Get a spoiler

Done, thank you for coming out!

89TargaT

No Traction FTL...
Jan 30, 2008
Missouri
Keros;1014528 said:
Step 1: Remove 7M-GE sticker from cam cover
Step 2: Insert 7M-GTE sticker on cam cover
Step 3: Place Turbo badge on rear of car
Step 4: Get a spoiler

Done, thank you for coming out!

LOLZ...

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
wisconsin/illinois border
I've did some homework in this field, I am going turbo this fall and if you want to save money, time, and alot of stress...the best way to go, imo, is 7mgte swap. change out the 7mge motor, ecu, trans. blah blah and dump in gte. This will be the best bang for the buck all around i think.

And Keros....lol...sad but true..One could almost get away with doing that !

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
Im Chris Brown;1017401 said:
it'd be best to swap the trans too?
ugh.

Yes it is best.

No you don't need to. w58 is fine aslong as you're not going for 1000+rwhp.

Yes you'll need a stronger clutch if you are keeping the w58.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
I agree. All the time i spent sourcing gte parts for my ge. By the time i had all the parts ready to go, and i calculated the cost. I figured it wouldnt hurt to just throw the gte on in.

I also decided to stay with the w-58, and honestly the car isnt finished yet, but im starting to regret staying with the w-58.I have feeling 400whp and w-58 wont mix too well

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Fuzz420;1017421 said:
I agree. All the time i spent sourcing gte parts for my ge. By the time i had all the parts ready to go, and i calculated the cost. I figured it wouldnt hurt to just throw the gte on in.

I also decided to stay with the w-58, and honestly the car isnt finished yet, but im starting to regret staying with the w-58.I have feeling 400whp and w-58 wont mix too well

i think your paranoid.....i keep hearing the w-58 cant handle that power but i have yet to see proof....at 400hp things break thats just how it is...even r-154 transmissions arent bulletproof....i believe its about 10% on equipment at 90% on how the operator drives....dont be a fool and i bet the w58 will be plenty

Fuzz420

gaboonviper85;1018796 said:
i think your paranoid.....i keep hearing the w-58 cant handle that power but i have yet to see proof....at 400hp things break thats just how it is...even r-154 transmissions arent bulletproof....i believe its about 10% on equipment at 90% on how the operator drives....dont be a fool and i bet the w58 will be plenty

We will see. My clutch is a spec stage 3+, rated at 460tq.I will be using every bit of the clutch as well. I do understand it come down to the driver, but when theres instance of the the tranny failing under "rolling into power,"then that makes me nervous

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
I don't realy understand why you would build up a car to that level and leave a weak link that has to be babied everytime you drive. I can understand if you can't afford it now or feel you have invested too much in your current setup. Besides it might last quite a while. But a good R-154 is the right way to do it, and they can be found cheap.

Fuzz420

socc924;1021664 said:
I don't realy understand why you would build up a car to that level and leave a weak link that has to be babied everytime you drive. I can understand if you can't afford it now or feel you have invested too much in your current setup. Besides it might last quite a while. But a good R-154 is the right way to do it, and they can be found cheap.

I could afford it but it was an instance of me being "cheap" on something i didnt have to cheap out on. This time last year when i was buying the parts it seemed like a good idea,but time makes fools of us all.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Then on the bright side, I have noticed that the w-58 is easier to shift then the R-154. And hey... its an upgrade you can do down the road to possibly drop a little off your 1/4 by being able to pound the gears. Gotta have somewhere to grow to.