Whats best size for exhaust piping

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
i was going to go with 3" exhaust piping with no cat, but a friend was telling me that thats too big. is this true?what size piping should i get

J

JerzeySlowpra

sounds good to me, i usually dont even use exaust im usually running open 3` dp

P

Pokey

grimace65 said:
i was going to go with 3" exhaust piping with no cat, but a friend was telling me that thats too big. is this true?what size piping should i get

3" is fine, whoever told you that was too big doesnt know what they are talking about, there are some people who are running 3.5" exhaust :biglaugh:

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
koo. he said that 3" wouldnt let the engine be stable because you need back pressure. he's an ase master technician

J

JerzeySlowpra

a little loud yeah, it sounds pretty good though, alls you hear is the turbo pretty much... and its not open all the time on purpose, theres a 3` Y pipe on my DP with a door to run open DP when i race, the doors held on by 3 wing nuts and a bunch of the DSM guys took my door and said it sounds way to nasty to ptu the door on, so i have to get it out of my friends gsx, go figure i started my car up one morning and my dp was open and i havnt opened it for a while haha

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
its currently non turbo however im doing the conversion next week once i break in my rebuilt motor. my "master technician" said to drive under 60 for 500 miles then we shall install the turbo (t88-h). than i shall probably get the exhaust 3" when the intercooler piping is done at the muffler shop. is it ok if i just tell the muffler shop to make me 3" piping instead of wasting an extra $200 on a namebrand 3" exhaust?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
grimace65 said:
its currently non turbo however im doing the conversion next week once i break in my rebuilt motor. my "master technician" said to drive under 60 for 500 miles then we shall install the turbo (t88-h). than i shall probably get the exhaust 3" when the intercooler piping is done at the muffler shop. is it ok if i just tell the muffler shop to make me 3" piping instead of wasting an extra $200 on a namebrand 3" exhaust?

ummm so youre doing a rebuilt engine...then just "slapping on" a t-88h...and THEN dong 3inch piping....

:squint: :umno: :nuts: :stickpoke

EDIT: for the record your "master tech" is retarded....and sounds like hes more FOS certified and not ASE.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
If you're really doing a T-88 then 3" should be a minimum. For a turbo charged car, the turbo provides all the back pressure you need, so exhuast doesn't mean much in regards to that.
The piping will be the same as long as you get good pipes that are mandrel bended or the shop does. If they aren't completely inept they should be able to make something as good or better than a name brand.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Sounds like you friend is an ASE certified wrench turner. Seriously, he is certified to work on cars, to know how to fix them, not how to tune them or design performance parts.

whitemk3

Mar 30, 2005
east TN
With a t-88 3 inch is really not large enough isnt the outlet for thedownpipe on that turbo 4 inches. I would go as big as possible and the shop says that 3 is biggest because they dont have a bender that can bend over 3.

grimace65

Apr 3, 2005
so cal
i still need to look for the outlet/return flange for the down pipe for that turbo. gotta break in my motor first then. do u guys know where i can find the outlet that connects my t88h to the downpipe or that whole thing cuz i cant find it and i called turbonetics but they just gave me a bunch of answering machines

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
grimace65 said:
i still need to look for the outlet/return flange for the down pipe for that turbo. gotta break in my motor first then. do u guys know where i can find the outlet that connects my t88h to the downpipe or that whole thing cuz i cant find it and i called turbonetics but they just gave me a bunch of answering machines

even though im probably just feeding the beast here...

im pretty sure its a Vband clamp...