what's a divorced down pipe?

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
what's a divorced downpipe?
i've been tryin to figure this out and i cant find much of what i need. i think it maybe has to do with a downpipe and a wastegate pipe together or somethin....uh...i dunno...what does it do... someone clear me up. thanks

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
A DDP splits the outlet of the turbo, from the outlet of the wastegate, the effect is eliminating the extra flow and turbulence from having to join the exhaust when the wastegate opens

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
well, you see, when one down pip marries annother down pipe, but they didnt quite love eachother as much as a good down pipe should, and they get in trouble, they fight, he gets kicked out of the house, she throws a lamp at him, they fight some more, this repeats and eventually you have some divorced down pipes. now the reason they were fighting is because htis was posted in the wrong section, hence the divorced down pipes.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
divorced downpipe is creep maker i made one for my car but took a long time to stop it from creeping aka porting and maken the waste gate hole as high as it can go befor the divder wiht should be round that helped me alot when ti came to creep

cause see if you use math in this is simple

creep is cause form exhaust gases not able to vent so instead it goes thoru the trubine wheel witch is creep and that si what divorce dp do in less they take alot of time porting and maken sure there now prob wiht exhuast flow

creep makes controling boost harder in less you have boost controler that has a nice duty cycle to it

so that is why these dp give youpower they raiseyour boost cause of creep

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
sheesh sorry for posting in the wrong section. i actually took back a minutre and tried to figure out what section it should be in.
thanks for the explanations too :)

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
NashMan said:
creep is cause form exhaust gases not able to vent so instead it goes through the trubine wheel which is creep and that is what a divorce dp do unless they take alot of time porting and maken sure there no problem with the exhuast flow

I might disagree here a bit, I agree a DDP will cause creep, Or even a DP with an integrated 90 elbow, but I think it is doing it by letting too much exhaust gasses go through the waist gate swing valve too fast and the excess air is forcing the swing valve open some causing creep.

Look at this flange William made and you can see how it blocks the waist gate part of the flange. I really doubt this will hurt engine performance as the main exhaust side of the turbo is unrestricted. I think it is a great idea. And I may even experiment with mine to try and remove creep. :)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=204345&postcount=25
William said:
how does it suck? works way better then the stock elbow, and i did that over 5 years ago(when i was 19). how many people had 3in elbows 5 years ago? not very many. besides, i never had boost creep and full 15psi of boost by 2k rpm in 5th gear? i dont see the problem. who cares if the wastegate doesnt have its own port, still works. and i got a gt40 goin on with the new motor anyway. im going 3.5in turbo back on that wit ha 68a/r turbin, should spool almost the same as this upgraded ct and make 500rwhp on pump gas.

I would rather loose 5hp+- than risk boost creep detonation. :dunno:

Last edited:

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
downpipes2.jpg

BIC DDP, AMS O2 housing upgrade on a RT downpipe, stock...

I have no boost creep at all on the BIC DDP. Boost is rock solid at whatever I set it at.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I only have it when it is really cold outside, 30 degrees or colder. Mine all started when the 3" turbo back was installed.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Bishop92t said:
downpipes2.jpg

BIC DDP, AMS O2 housing upgrade on a RT downpipe, stock...

I have no boost creep at all on the BIC DDP. Boost is rock solid at whatever I set it at.

you have an e1 boost controler aka good boost controler

if you have some thgin that does not really control duty cycle it will creep bad

test it put a mbc in there and see what it does

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Joel W. said:
I might disagree here a bit, I agree a DDP will cause creep, Or even a DP with an integrated 90 elbow, but I think it is doing it by letting too much exhaust gasses go through the waist gate swing valve too fast and the excess air is forcing the swing valve open some causing creep.

Look at this flange William made and you can see how it blocks the waist gate part of the flange. I really doubt this will hurt engine performance as the main exhaust side of the turbo is unrestricted. I think it is a great idea. And I may even experiment with mine to try and remove creep. :)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=204345&postcount=25

I would rather loose 5hp+- than risk boost creep detonation. :dunno:

if more gas go through the waste gate then you will loose boost not creep that is what you whould call a spike raise then drops

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Hmmm...I guess your right Nash. What I said does not seem to make much sense to me now.

Time to get an EBC I guess and see if that helps me..

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
So the example of William's flange, (In theory), That should prevent spike and increase creep with an upgraded turbo. I like this place...I learn something every day..:)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Joel W. said:
So the example of William's flange, (In theory), That should prevent spike and increase creep with an upgraded turbo. I like this place...I learn something every day..:)

yes will's idea on flange is creep cause it can vent as good as it chould befor

but there bad part to this if you over boost aka waste gate stays shut to long or can not discharge eghough will cause shaft to twist when the turbo get's to hot akak broken shaft out fo blance ect but you will gain boost really fast at the sake of killing your turbo over time

can be done on any other turbo that has big shaft\proper shaft ct26 is out fo blance killer with it's small shaft

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Cool, So in my case where the spike seems to be dependant on cold days, this is most likely just because I am packing much more colder air into the combustion camber and making more power than normal, which is spinning the turbo even faster causing boost spike.

Does that make sense?

Sorry to get off topic here but I figured the thread was answered correctly already..:)