What year 7mgte????

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
How do I tell what year my motor is from?? I got it from a 87 turbo supra but I was told that it is an 89 motor?? Which makes no sense to me lol

The harness and ECU are from an 87. The motor has oil squirters and a 6M crank, the number printed on the side is 0271614 and the head has a number 12 if that matters.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks,
Brent

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
yes on the exhaust side there will be 1 rib in between each cylinder and 1 rib on each cylinder.

Cale

Jan 6, 2008
Ängelholm, Sweden
mine is a late 89 with the 6m crank and with the extra ribs on the block
the extra ribs came after middle 89 from what ive read... to strengthen the block even more

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
The extra rib on the lower right of that pic is a dead giveaway, and all you can really see when the engine is in the car. Thats a "late" model block,

Thanks IJ.

picture.php

Gonna be making some power this spring Brent? We'll have to race again:)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
redma70;1491038 said:
I have 11 ribs on the exhaust side... So 89???
If so, will my wiring and everything be fine?

the year of the engine does not matter. the wiring needs to match the year of the car. the engine block does not determine weather the ecu plugs match.

slightly_red_MA70

Jan 24, 2009
Canada
dumbo;1491396 said:

Sure am :icon_bigg Deffinetly will have to race

hvyman;1491425 said:
the year of the engine does not matter. the wiring needs to match the year of the car. the engine block does not determine weather the ecu plugs match.

Yeah I thought about that afterwards lol I just wanted to know if it was a late model block or not lol And it turns out it is!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Right on, are you getting the engine rebuilt? Good to hear you got the heavier block. I bought mine off arizzle and is currently stripped bare at the engine builder:)

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
dumbo;1491396 said:
The extra rib on the lower right of that pic is a dead giveaway, and all you can really see when the engine is in the car. Thats a "late" model block,

Thanks IJ.

picture.php

This is GRRRRREAT! :biglaugh: I was wondering what I bought. Now I know! "And knowing is half the battle!" Ha!

I got an awesome deal on my motor. It was a rebuilt motor from Attarco, according to seller. I believe him because when I looked into the intake/exhaust sides and down to the pistons, they were very clean.

He was going to drop it in his Supra but his son wrecked it before he could do that. The motor sat around for 6 months with no covers so there are dust particles in places you don't want them to be.

Now I have to take it apart, clean it, put in high rev capable components, and drop it in. Its a good can of worms to open up.

slightly_red_MA70

Jan 24, 2009
Canada
dumbo;1491766 said:
Right on, are you getting the engine rebuilt? Good to hear you got the heavier block. I bought mine off arizzle and is currently stripped bare at the engine builder:)

Yepp, I bought new pistons for it, new rings, and now I'm getting new Clivite77 bearings. Oh and I'm not getting it rebuilt, I am rebuilding it myself lol

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I was going to go with Clevite's too. What do you mean IJ? Clevite only putting there name on them and not making them? What would you recomend these days?