What would you do?

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
If you had the money either to turbo your na or to go with a standalone, which would you do first.

A) I have everything I need for turboing my na except for pipes, downpipe, BOV, and intercooler. All of which I have found for a decent price.

B) I have enough to megasquirt my car. I think it would be easier to get running on the na then adjust it for the turbo.

What to do? I am torn between the two ideas. Let me know what you think.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I would just save the money. Often times guys buy parts and collect them only to have plans change and end up selling the parts for a loss. Just put the money in an account and dont touch it until you are ready to do it all. That way if circumstances change or the car gets in a wreck, etc... you have the cash vs a stack of parts.

Chris

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I would go with the stand-alone myself. As yo stated it will work on any vehicle and will allow much more flexibility when the time comes to go turbo.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Standalone +1. Then you'll be prepared whatever route you go. It will also be easier to get it running correctly first and then tune for the turbo.

Collin

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
got_boosted;887571 said:
Standalone +1. Then you'll be prepared whatever route you go. It will also be easier to get it running correctly first and then tune for the turbo.

Collin

THis is exactly what I was thinking after some research. I feel it to be way easier to get running on an N/A and the add fuel and timing changes for the turbo. I ordered the megasquirt today. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of days.

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think I'd find a GTE harness and ecu, and then do a maintenance checkover of the engine.

Then go Turbo and work from there

Or: Clean yours up nice, sell it and take that money and your mod fund, and get a stock GTE car to work with

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
I am not a newb to cars, and I already picked up a complete gte engine. It is torn apart in the garage, because I did not know of the history. IT actually looks low mileage rebuild. I am going to have it checked out at a machine shop, and if everything looks good it will be rebuilt and put in. I like it better because of the squirters. Also as the turbo parts go, I have everything but the intercooler and pipes, bov, and downpipe. Other then that I have a harness, turbo and manifold from the engine I bought. I just decided to get the ecu and get it running on my n/a for now while the gte block is being rebuilt. I am only hoping for about 400-450 with an upgraded ct26. This should attain my goals and allow me to have more room with the megasquirt to move up in hp. I have only paid 400 dollars for the 1990 na five speed I am driving. So I do not have much money in it. So why go for another car. I sold my rb powered 240 to get into the supra world. I miss it a little bit, but I hope to attain a much faster car with the supra, with more ammenities.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
csnow;885901 said:
I would just save the money. Often times guys buy parts and collect them only to have plans change and end up selling the parts for a loss. Just put the money in an account and dont touch it until you are ready to do it all. That way if circumstances change or the car gets in a wreck, etc... you have the cash vs a stack of parts.

Chris

+1!

Thats your best bet or if your one of tho's people who can't hold on to cash and just need to spend it(i know people like this)buy a turbo motor and a egine stand and start building it slowy.But the best build start out with a lot of cash so just save it

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
I understand what you guys are saying, and I have done that. I have a gte build in the process on the stand and everything. My main question was do I put the turbo stuff on my n/a for now or go ahead and get the standalone and tune, then put on the turbo stuff. Then I would get it running and then put in the new motor. That way I can have a baseline to get the car started and running for a breakin before I get to romp on it.