what would yall do

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
my 87 targa turbo has bad valve seals and is in pretty rough shape body wise. Its pretty rusty but i got it for cheap a while back but since i dont want it to get worse i havent driven it. Anyway I also have a 1986.5 hardtop almost identical to it other than the headlight washers and supermoniter and other small options. My question is when i get around to rebuilding my motor and such would it be worth it to take everything off the turbo car and put in the NA? how hard it it to change everything including the supermonitor and all? cause if i rebuild it i was figuring that it would be better to try and make it the best car i can using both cars unless it is gonna be a real big hassle. thanks in advance

Stephen

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, I'd do exactly that...

The plugs for the SM will be in the other car's harness, just plug the unit in and put the display in.

Everything on those two cars will interchange with ease, so have at it!

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
but the 86.5 is na is the harness still the same as the 87 turbo? if so then it would be easier

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
To swap the turbo engine in you need the 7m-gte, 7m turbo ecu (either manual or auto will work) and a turbo wiring harness... To keep things simple look for all this out of an 87/88 supra.

Edit: and all the other misc. turbo stuff required (ic piping, electronics etc etc..)

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
so I will have to basically strip everything such as wiring harness and Ecu off the 87 turbo?? i knew i would have to take the intercooler and everything but like will i have to take everything such as the guage cluster and all the other stuff with it?? and are the 86.5s wired for the TEMS or am i just going to have to forget that and the supermonitor?

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
SBM713;961720 said:
so I will have to basically strip everything such as wiring harness and Ecu off the 87 turbo?? i knew i would have to take the intercooler and everything but like will i have to take everything such as the guage cluster and all the other stuff with it?? and are the 86.5s wired for the TEMS or am i just going to have to forget that and the supermonitor?

correct about taking the things from the 87 turbo like the harness and ecu. u dont need to take the cluster out but the RPM gauge in the car your swapping over to wont work but that can be fixed. not sure about the TEMS tho or the SM.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Ok, I have an 86.5 NA and an 87 Turbo parts car. I took everything from the 87 and converted the 86.5 to turbo. My 87 was prewired for a supermonitor but did not come with one. The 86.5 was NOT prewired. I bought a supermonitor from a friend and then I swapped the entire body harness from the 87 into the 86.5. That involved removing the dash. The body harness includes both fuse panels and TEMS and ABS wiring. My 86.5 did not come with either but that's no big deal so you'll have extra plugs if yours is not equipped either. 86.5 and 87 are essentially the same so it's plug and play.

Ok, supermonitor. There is a rectangular plug that hangs just above the break pedal. Pull the panel down on your 86.5 and if it has that plug then your are pre wired for a supermonitor. If no plug then you'll need to swap body harness. Here's a pic of the plug. You can look in my build thread to see what I went through to swap the harnesses. The link is below.
p961859_1.jpg