what with the heater core??

tmaxx31190

Got Insulin?
Nov 22, 2009
Walled Lake, MI
after i let my car sit for a while and then start it up, it sounds like a little water fountain is under my dash. it's pretty obvious that it's the heater core filling with coolant, but i just dont know if this is normal for our cars or what. i've never heard this in any other car. the carpets are all dry and my coolant is always full, so i don't think it's leaking. what do you think??

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
It means there is trapped air in your cooling system. If you are lucky, it is from a small leak perhaps from a hose, or an empty coolant reservoir. More likely, you have the beginnings of a BHG.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
tmaxx31190;1511111 said:
after i let my car sit for a while and then start it up, it sounds like a little water fountain is under my dash. it's pretty obvious that it's the heater core filling with coolant, but i just dont know if this is normal for our cars or what. i've never heard this in any other car. the carpets are all dry and my coolant is always full, so i don't think it's leaking. what do you think??

if youre cooling system is in good shape then it will eventually push the air out threw the rad cap and suck in more coolant...

you can do it yourself faster if you jack the front of the car up about a foot then open the rad cap and start the car...

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Yea you can rent a coolant tester, hook it up and pump about 16 pds into it and then look for leaks, if you don't find any then watch the gauge if it starts dropping in pressure then you have something wrong. Start the car up with it attached and see if the pressure goes up. If it does then you have a HG that is going. I discovered mine is doing this as well and I just redid the HG about 2000 miles ago with an HKS metal one. I am so pissed right now it ain't funny. The head was torqued to 80 ft pds and then retorqued at 500 miles. I am going to try another retorque to see if it backed off some. I got ARP studs in the damn car.