What vehicle to tow with?

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
I have an '05 K2500 Silverado for a Supra hauler. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it and haul the Supra all the way across the country. It is 100% reliable with the HD driveline and 6.0 gas engine, comfy too and the brakes are excellent. Fuel economy isn't the greatest but I still prefer it over a Diesel.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Diesel should be the choice here, honestly. The question should be which one. For $7K you can get something nice.
You could even spend less and have a bit more to register and get plates and pay for some insurance, or even just to
do some mods to it. a Ford or a Toyota would be nice.

I still like the 4runners though. The V6 is good on gas and has the capability to haul some supra ass. They look pretty
hot too, and all for under the $7K mark. If it would help convince you I could post some pics or my brothers, made me
love them. He did some simple, subtle, cheap mods.

I added the pics below

Lifted about 2" and Landcruiser rims:

33u3joi.jpg

Runningboards/Brushguard off:

35mgqkp.jpg

Re-painted and Scoop added (also in above pic if you look close):

20zcr68.jpg

v5c27r.jpg

Corners Oranged, JDM-Style:

k9c94h.jpg

2n9chf4.jpg

evcjtv.jpg

I think this should probably be moved to the off-topic section.
I understand why he posted here but it's minimally relevant to the MKIII

Last edited:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
my tow vehicle.it just sucks that diesel is almost $4.00 a gallon hear.maybe a veggie kit in the futur;)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Depending on the trailer weight, you should have no problem towing a supra with a 4.0 Jeep. Its right around 5klbs.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Don't watch it, all I know is that my parents Jeep has had nothing majorly wrong with it, just a few cheap fixes. Jeep is out of their mind for getting rid of the 4.0 I6, that motor can take a lot of abuse.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
foreverpsycotic;948778 said:
Depending on the trailer weight, you should have no problem towing a supra with a 4.0 Jeep. Its right around 5klbs.

U-haul wouldn't rent you a trailer if you told them you planned to put a Supra on it and tow it with a Jeep.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Wow lots of responses. I also have another option: get a loan to buy a nicer/newer truck and put the $7k chunk towards taking off the majority of the loan payments/interest. This truck would only have to make a couple of towing trips, but mostly needs to fill the role of a daily driver or utility vehicle.

And I posted it here because it seems that it was remotely related to supras, but go ahead if anyone wants to move it.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
$7K IS enough to buy a nice, new enough truck. Using that money to pay off loans wouldn't make that much sense if you're taking another loan to buy the truck anyways.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
arod;948820 said:
What do you guys think about towing it with a 2000 4.0 V6 Ford Explorer?

The explorers, jeeps and 4-runners have short wheel bases. Longer wheel base means more stability. You don't want the tail wagging the dog. I suggest the silverado/gmc 5.3L half-ton extended cab. Gets the best gas mileage for vehicles of its class, and unlike the rest of GMs fleet, these trucks are built well. I don't know the rear gear ratios on the newer silverados, standard was the 3.42, but I had the 3.73 on my '98 and it was rated to tow at 8000+ pounds. Plus, the truck had alot of get-up and go. Also, if you get 4-wheel drive, you will get lower gas mileage and lower tow rating. It weighs more. I had 2-wd with limited slip and I never got stuck. Of course I didn't go looking for mud holes either. BTW, I towed a 2-horse trailer (5,000+lbs), so stability and control was a must.

To get the features you want in a used gmc/chevy truck, you will need to know the codes that are printed in the glove box. You'll find them on the web. Your typical lot lizard doesn't know anything about the codes or about towing. I sure pissed a few of them off when I was truck shopping..

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Guyana00;948688 said:
Diesel should be the choice here, honestly. The question should be which one. For $7K you can get something nice.
You could even spend less and have a bit more to register and get plates and pay for some insurance, or even just to
do some mods to it. a Ford or a Toyota would be nice.

I still like the 4runners though. The V6 is good on gas and has the capability to haul some supra ass. They look pretty
hot too, and all for under the $7K mark. If it would help convince you I could post some pics or my brothers, made me
love them. He did some simple, subtle, cheap mods.

+1 for the 4Runner. I love my 97 and it does the job. I've hauled a couple from one side of town to the other (Houston is a big place) and had no issues, although I would reccomend some brake upgrades on the 4Runner (good pads and rotors).

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
I have a 93 V6 pathfinder which i would have no problem pulling a trailer + supra with. I had to pull my friends Rodeo twice last week and the job was relatively effortless. Good gas mileage, reliable, cheep repair costs.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i would get a early 90s chevy 1500 with the 350 my uncle has one we borrowed to go pick up my supra pulled it just fine and rode really nice as well even towing the supra gas mileage with the trailer was about 18 and maybe 14ish pulling the supra not bad.