What type of torque wrench do you all use to work on your Supra?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I have 2 craftsman clickers, both are the older style which you rotate the whole handle to make adjustments. It always feels like its going to break, all the negative reviews say thats where they break. Im so paranoid/carefull when adjusting and making sure to lock the handle before using them.

A friend has a craftsman digitorq or whatever they call it, it seems to be better designed. You pull a knob down from the handle and turn to make adjustments then it pops back into place.

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Don't really worry about name brand the torque wrenches at autozone and what not are just as good. You want to make sure you have two torque wrenches (click prefered). One for high torque numbers (150 ft lbs should be enough) and a smaller range one for the small jobs like torquing to 15 ft lbs. The small ones are calculated in inch pounds but have a conversion sheet. Don't every try to use a big torque wrench to torque a small number, the click is not noticeable because it's at such low torque

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Keep 3.

One for 1/4" Inch Pounds.
One for 3/8" Foot Pounds (Low).
One for 1/2' Foot Pounds (High).

And Harbor Freight is having a sale. :D

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
20980.jpg

/thread ;)

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
snap on click, 3/8 and 1/2" work supplied:naughty:

i'm pretty sure torque wrenchs are most accuracte in the upper 2/3 of the scale, i need to get a 1/4" wrench.

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
s0ulstar;1129887 said:

i have this one in 3/8". awesome. snap-on gave it to me for free, because paint started falling off my $3600 tool box. eats up batteries pretty quick , but it's worth it

also got a beast of a cornwell 1/2"

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I've got two, they replaced my old Autozone special -- after 8 years, that one was about 11-13lb/ft off...my fault for always neglecting to reset the wrench after use. Anyway, I bought a Harbor Freight 3/8" Drive, goes up to 80lb/ft and a Craftsman Digi-Torq 1/2" Drive, 25-250lb/ft. When I was still in the navy, I checked both on the cal standard in the calibration lab, and both were dead-nuts on....needless to say, I was impressed....esp. with the harbor freight one! :bigthumb: