What type of torque wrench do you all use to work on your Supra?

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
I wasn't sure of where to post this, but since it concerns tools used to work on a Supra, I'll put it in this section.

What type of torque wrench do you all use when working on your Supra? Beam type or click type? Which one have been very helpful and more dependable?

I was looking into getting a beam type from Craftsman to work on my Supra (to check the shock mounts torque and upper control arm torque). The Craftsman beam torque wrench has good review from Sears.

I was thinking of getting the beam type for it's simplicity and affordability, but I was wondering if it would be better to just go for a click type. I looked at the click torque wrench from Craftsman and they didn't have too many good review compared to the beam torque wrench.

I don't know how to use a click type, but I know a friend that might know how to use one. The beam type is simple right? Just torque until the reading is to the required torque.

I plan on doing some sort of rebuild also and with the way the factory gaskets are, the correct torque setting is important. When you replaced your engine's headgasket, what type of torque wrench did you used?

I appreciate any input.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Phantom;1129345 said:
I wasn't sure of where to post this, but since it concerns tools used to work on a Supra, I'll put it in this section.

What type of torque wrench do you all use when working on your Supra? Beam type or click type? Which one have been very helpful and more dependable?

I was looking into getting a beam type from Craftsman to work on my Supra (to check the shock mounts torque and upper control arm torque). The Craftsman beam torque wrench has good review from Sears.

I was thinking of getting the beam type for it's simplicity and affordability, but I was wondering if it would be better to just go for a click type. I looked at the click torque wrench from Craftsman and they didn't have too many good review compared to the beam torque wrench.

I don't know how to use a click type, but I know a friend that might know how to use one. The beam type is simple right? Just torque until the reading is to the required torque.

I plan on doing some sort of rebuild also and with the way the factory gaskets are, the correct torque setting is important. When you replaced your engine's headgasket, what type of torque wrench did you used?

I appreciate any input.

Snap on, click type. bought it off ebay, never used.

a torque wrench is a place where I will NEVER cut corners.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Phantom;1129355 said:
That's baller status. I'm not sure if I can even afford a Snap-On torque wrench, but I'll check to see how much it cost.

it worth it.

TRUST me.

a high quality torque wrench is worth every penny :icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Two craftsman click types here (ft-lb and in-lb).

ALWAYS remember to put them back to the lowest setting after use. Not doing so will screw up ANY click type.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I have both click and beam. The beam type is TERRIBLE for anything over ~40, or where you have to bend over, like torquing the head bolts in the engine bay. Click type rocks there.

Snap on has ones that beep or vibrate as well, they are awesome. On my list of things to buy.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Well, here's were I show my engineering roots ;)

I use a Pittsburgh Harbor Freight special. (paid $20 for a 1/2" drive and a 3/8" drive)

I'm also quite happy with both of them, as far as accuracy goes. 51.4 lbs/ft is required for an accurate 50 lbs/ft, and 76.6 lbs/ft is required for an accurate 75 lbs/ft on the bolt.

1 lbs/ft of torque is the amount of torque that 1 lbs exhibits at a 1 foot distance from the center of the fastener.

I bought cheap torque wrenches, measured out how far off they are, and adjust accordingly. ;) The high dollar torque wrenches are much closer to being accurate, yes, but they are not perfect.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
^hmmmm.

How did you measure this?

Would a local community college/university have this type of equipment?

Thats pretty damn good ~98% accurate.

Thanks for the input GrimJack. :)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Poodles;1129366 said:
Two craftsman click types here (ft-lb and in-lb).

ALWAYS remember to put them back to the lowest setting after use. Not doing so will screw up ANY click type.

Agreed.

I have a cheap breaker bar now. ;)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
lol it's one of those cheap autoparts store ones.

A bud bought it for me when we were doing his Head Gasket. Set it up and backed it down to 0 for that job, and used it on my Z and forgot.

Ohh well I got good use out of it for 20 bux. ;)

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i used a craftsman 5-150 click type for my build with a master mechanic 50-250 click type for the crank pulley bolt. normally wouldnt but i've had a bit of experience with master mechanic and if you get an older one it's still made in usa and guaranteed for life.

i wouldn't go with another beam type even though i have two, when i did my brake job i had a system of mirrors just to see the damn torque from under the car.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Well, Supras don't break unless you break them, so I don't use it on the Supra. So none technically.

I have 2 clickers and a beam for turning torque when doing internals.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
hummm i got more then one i have the mac tools digtale ones 3/8 and 1/2
and 1/4 jet for really small stuff hardly use it but i have used it thou

the digtale ones are great cause you can see the truq raise as you turq i got them cause i truqed alot fo honda blocks but it nice to have the click thou only down fall i kinda miss it

sure dail one whould be sweet