What transmission have I got?

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Was sold to me as a W58. However, once I pulled my old box, I realized there are a few differences.

The big difference is the shifter location. The top box is a MKIII Supra W58 that just came out of my car, to bottom box is the replacement I bought.

Anyone know why the difference in shifter locations?

Also, the throwout bearing pivot was smaller on the replacement. And the shifter socket is larger diameter on the replacement vs. the MKIII W58.

Lastly, I put 75w80 Redline synthetic in. The box whines when driving, and seems loud. Is that because I put too-thin oil in?

Thanks for any help

20hty7a.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The different placement of the shifter was for a different vehicle.

does it whine in certain gears or just all the time?>

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Whines all the time. Didn't get to drive far because of other problems, but much louder than the old transmission I pulled. All gears. That one was only loud in 5th gear. And 5th gear was really loud

The two transmissions clearly are almost identical. Reading I've done suggests early W58s had alloy sandwich plates. Could this box be from a MKII Supra?

I'm just worried that what I actually have is one of the notoriously frail W55s and not a W58

Thanks

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
After some research, I think I've got a W58 from a MKII Supra

Not sure how to tell a W55 from a W58, other than counting the gear revolutions by hand.

Hopefully today I'll be able to put fresh oil in and see if the trans is quieter.