What to upgrade next?

azerty

May 15, 2009
Romania
I really would like your 2 cents about what to do next in pursuit for more power. These are my curent mods. Is a metal head gasket in order, or should I push until my curent one blows?
'91 7MGTE in '88 body targa top.
Fidanza flywheel, Lexus AFM LIPP replica, 550 cc RC injectors, KN FIPK, Forge manual boost controller, 255 lbs Walbro fuel pump, analog pressure gauge, turbo-back 3" exhaust, no cats, divorced down pipe, BIC replica, AEM UEGO wideband, Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with LIPP install kit.
Next on my list: Standalone EMS or fuel computer.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I know I'm a newbie, but I would imagine replacing a head gasket is far better than sitting on a timebomb with the other. Remember that cracked heads, warped block, and other nasty stuff can happen with an engine that BHG's, so preventative maintenance after you've already sunk in the go-fast mods should be a definite consideration. Improving airflow into the turbo should be next, like intercooler upgrades, better turbo, etc... Then, controlling the airflow with an SAFC would be the next logical step.

Again, this is from reading lots of other builds and following the Staging process set up by HKS. Of course, after all that you'd probably be looking into rods, camshafts, and other rebuilds to the block.

Ohh, one other thing. How much of your other factory stuff have you replaced yet? I would think a new timing belt w/ pulley, water pump, and other belts and pulleys should be considered. And depending on heat buildup, maybe an alum rad and elec fan? Just some extra stuff to consider to keep your ride going strong.

azerty

May 15, 2009
Romania
It seems I forgot to mention that I have a racing 6 puk clutch and pressure plate from ACT.
I am running 1 barr boost with no real problems. I had changed the timing belt and tensioner, the oil pump, also main and rod bearings, checked the crankshaft and it was ok.
I have found a Mitsubishi Evo Lancer IX stock intercooler, that seems to be a little bigger, with bigger in/out pipes (60mm)
Do you think it would make a good aquisition ATM?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Strike the electric fans, the stocker is more than capable (as long as it's in good working order, shroud in place, ect).

Sounds like you opened up the bottom end and replaced the bearings without pulling the head off? Is it the stock headgasket at the stock torque? I'd imagine some things could use some freshening up (valve stem seals, watch compression to see if rings are tired, ect).

Really, it's up to you. What kind of budget do you have? Do you have other methods of transportation?

azerty

May 15, 2009
Romania
You're bang on with the bottom end.
I didn't do anything to the head.
If i had the money, I would change the HG, pistons, rods, valves.
I don't have the money yet thou.
I have a tight budget, as most of you, so I try to plan my every move carefully.
I was thinking about a new turbo, but can I upgrade without fear of BHG?
Also, would a intercooler (the EVO) help
my curent configuration, and will still be good when I upgrade the turbo to lets say a 60 trim?
I do have another car, but I can't stand not driving it at least once in a while :)

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Head gaskets blow, but for a myriad of reasons. One of the most common ways to get a BHG is by pushing too much boost through the turbo and into the engine. Another is not running things cool enough. And still another is improper air flow, worn factory parts, etc...

If you insist on increasing boost, AT LEAST check to see that your HG is torqued to 70+lbs (I believe). If it were me, I'd consider an MHG on anything past 8~10lbs of boost, and long after I've corrected any old issues with the engine (AND before modding things further). I may be paranoid, but at least I'll be playing it safe.

azerty

May 15, 2009
Romania
This is exacly my point. Belive me, I have read these many times.
I seem to be at the 300-400 stage now. Because I plan on going all the way 800+, the next step would be turbo, but I would need an IC and piipes,, I sure would need a MHG, and since I open it, I would put some forged pistons and rods there, and do a valve job.
Then it comes to the standalone, bigger injectors.
I sure would like now to buy some slicks, lighter wheels, CF hood and all there is, FG fenders and all.
But all these cost abou 1000 each, money I don't have. I say that amount because I have to take into consideration that I will have to pay for shipment also.
A 1 piece driveshaft would be very nice. Wich 1 would take more powe? CF or aluminium?